XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was thinking about putting some clubman handlebars to get that sporty and retro look. What do you guys think?
I have not seen anything like it before, nor any pictures of how it might look.

I know it would be a more tired riding position, but I do not make big trips.

Has anyone tried? Does anyone know some clubman handlebars that can fit?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi there,

I think if you get a bend like in the first picture it would look absolutely amazing.

I've put renthal street fat bars on mine which were a simply job to fit so can't see any major issues.

Please keep us all informed of any progress with you idea, plus pics

Cheers daps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments daps :)

I'm determined to try it, but for now I'm tracking the Internet in search of a clubman handlebar that can fit well on our bike, so if someone has a suggestion, it will be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only clubman handlebars I’ve been able to find are for the 900 for whatever reason. I did however stumble upon a café racer build of the 700 and they achieved the same sort of look by flipping the handle bars upside down. Not sure if they’ll be to your liking, but I thought it was a...interesting idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thread resurrect! Just wondering, does anyone know if the official Yamaha XSR900 clubman bars will fit and work on an XSR700? I'm assuming the clamp (28mm) and bar end (22mm) are the same? If so, how well do they clear everything else, especially at full lock?

Failing that, would flipping the stock bars upside down be a goer? I assume I'd need to drill new holes for the switchgear, which is no biggie, as long as the bars would clear everything else.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thread resurrect! Just wondering, does anyone know if the official Yamaha XSR900 clubman bars will fit and work on an XSR700? I'm assuming the clamp (28mm) and bar end (22mm) are the same? If so, how well do they clear everything else, especially at full lock?

Failing that, would flipping the stock bars upside down be a goer? I assume I'd need to drill new holes for the switchgear, which is no biggie, as long as the bars would clear everything else.
I can tell you that the Yamaha XSR900 clubman bars do work. I have them installed on my 700.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have clubmans on my C5 and although they look slick, they just don't have the practicality of a standard bar, especially for any distance riding. Personally I wouldn't put them on a bike the XSR that is really a easy riding motorcycle. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, that's awesome /forum/images/XSR700Forums/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png
Could you explain more about the process of installing that handlebar? Looks so great.
It's pretty straightforward. The clubman bars are a direct swap from the factory bars. They fit in the factory risers and they are pre-drilled to accept the front brake reservoir and thumb controls that have the little nub to lock them into place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, that's awesome /forum/images/XSR700Forums/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png
Could you explain more about the process of installing that handlebar? Looks so great.
It's pretty straightforward. The clubman bars are a direct swap from the factory bars. They fit in the factory risers and they are pre-drilled to accept the front brake reservoir and thumb controls that have the little nub to lock them into place.
Thanks for the info!
What about comfort? Did you change the foot pegs? Does the handlebar collide with the fuel tank when turning it completely?
It looks so great. Definitely what I was looking for months.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the info!
What about comfort? Did you change the foot pegs? Does the handlebar collide with the fuel tank when turning it completely?
It looks so great. Definitely what I was looking for months.
No problem! You definitely trade some comfort. It's like riding a sport bike, so not ideal for long trips. You will need to take a break every hour and there are tricks to riding a sport bike to make your ride less painful. But if you're looking for that cafe racer look, you can either go with clip ons, which will be even more aggressive on this bike, or the clubman bars. I haven't changed the rearsets yet. I'm undecided on that one as they aren't a priority for me right now. I have some other changes I am going to tackle this year. As for colliding with the tank, I angled the bars high enough that they don't interfere. The angle of the bars should be the 2nd to last adjustment during install with the forks turned at full lock on either side. Once you find the right angle that allows enough space to fit your hand and controls without hitting the tank, properly torque down the risers. Last adjustment should be the angle of your clutch and brake levers to your liking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem! You definitely trade some comfort. It's like riding a sport bike, so not ideal for long trips. You will need to take a break every hour and there are tricks to riding a sport bike to make your ride less painful. But if you're looking for that cafe racer look, you can either go with clip ons, which will be even more aggressive on this bike, or the clubman bars. I haven't changed the rearsets yet. I'm undecided on that one as they aren't a priority for me right now. I have some other changes I am going to tackle this year. As for colliding with the tank, I angled the bars high enough that they don't interfere. The angle of the bars should be the 2nd to last adjustment during install with the forks turned at full lock on either side. Once you find the right angle that allows enough space to fit your hand and controls without hitting the tank, properly torque down the risers. Last adjustment should be the angle of your clutch and brake levers to your liking.
Well, looks easy even for me :grin2:

Thank you for all the information. I appreciate it very much. Do you have any more pictures? :smile2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, looks easy even for me /forum/images/XSR700Forums/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

Thank you for all the information. I appreciate it very much. Do you have any more pictures? /forum/images/XSR700Forums/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Here you go!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got the Hurricane fat swallows on today. All I can say is wow. It's like the bike was actually designed for these ergos. Windblasts aren't an issue anymore, and you really don't give up too much comfort. I used to have an issue finding the right spot in the seat. No more. The actually bring you more forward than down so might not be good for short riders. All predrilled holes lined up fine. Pics attached.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts