XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I’ve been a member for some time now and wanted to give anyone who’s thinking of changing the back end a guide on how to do it on a budget. I’d already had the Evotech tail tidy fitted some time ago, but I really like the ‘short’ look of the bike but didn’t want to spend £’s getting it done!

I spent several weeks compiling a list of all the components needed – thanks to The Bay I managed to get all of these for around £50…somewhat cheaper than a custom version! Most parts were from China so just had to factor the 4-6 weeks shipping, but most turned up before a month. I was prepared to buy elsewhere again if the quality of the parts from China wasn’t great – however everything was much better than I expected, especially the indicators. The only item I had to get made especially were the mounting brackets – luckily, my employer has a CAD guy into bikes and also uses a local metal fabricator who is also into bikes so the cost for the drawings & CNC was a case of beer!

I dimensioned & mocked-up cardboard brackets so it worked with the below rear light / number plate and indicators, then sent it to the CAD / metal guy. Once it was made, I had it powder coated black.

Here’s a list of the items I bought – Bay numbers for reference ok (mods - I'm not associated with any of the below
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 3.jpg
parts so don't think I'm breaking any rules?)
  • Flasher unit- to slow down the LED indicators - 233426224671
  • Rear light / number plate bracket -113213155465
  • Turn signal adapter leads (set of 4) - 263702211959
  • LED bullet style indicators (set of 4) - 233737627597
  • Front indicator plates (set of 4) - 254707379429
It was all relatively straight forward – I simply removed the tail subframe / Evo tail tidy and then mounted the above and connected the wiring. I did check all the wiring connections before fitting though as the wiring colours on the parts were different to the plug wire colours on the bike – I had a spare battery so ‘played’ until I knew which wire was brake / running / number plate illumination.

Only two minor tasks – I had to drill out a couple of holes as I’d not allowed enough on my template, and hiding the wires/adapters around the battery & under the seat took some effort!

Over all I’m really pleased with it – appreciate it’s not practical if riding in the wet, but then again I’m only a ‘summer’ rider…! See the pics attached

Hopefully the above can give some pointers if you’re also thinking about doing the same. If anyone wants a copy of the bracket drawings PM me & I’ll send a copy ok.

All the best

·
Registered
226 Posts
Curious, is it best for girlfriends riding on the tank to face you, or should they be flipped over so you can read the "this end up" tattoo? :cool:

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you're like me, the good part is, no one is going to ask for a ride, however, any fantasy about being able to carry anything is also out of reach. It sure is short though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sick mod. However, can you provide links to where to purchase the parts to do this mod? Plus the drawings of the brackets. I'm a welder and I work with some sheet metal and shipfitters guys so we can do all this in house. I'd like to run a LED strip and have a "tucked" license plate look on mine. Is that possible? Much mahalos for your time and help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mrboojangles - I've PM'd you the relevant info etc.

All the best - let me know how you get on!

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
New member. Joined just to reply. Is there ANY way to share that CAD file? It's exactly the part that I've been looking for.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
only have the PDF's - as attached below!!!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts