XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6 months old, 400 miles on the odo and the check engine light came on while stationary at a faulty temporary red light for about 10 minutes. Several days later and add about another 100 miles, there doesn't seem to be any abnormal functioning of the engine, or odd noises etc. but the light is not going out

Suspect maybe something with o2 sensor.

Nearest dealer 50+ miles away, so I got a Yamaha FI diagnostic tool to see what error code it throws up, but cannot get the blasted thing to connect, powers on, but just displays waiting for connection...:frown2:

There's little to no info on use of this tool on the internet, and was wondering if anyone here has used this on an xsr700 and if there is a trick to getting it to connect...

Thanks

PS Don't think it's cooling system related, coolant level remains constant, fan kicks in at 106C and off again at about 98C

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you turn the ignition on?

I have an OBD2 fault code reader which powers up but does not connect until the ignition is on.

If you can't get it to work, don't use the bike until you contact your dealer for advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The live (rede/white) and earth (black) connectors on the diag connector on my bike is always on (multimeter tested).

Tried every conceivable combo of button/s being held down or not while turning ignition on, makes no difference.

It's the official Yamaha part no 90890-03182 mentioned in the (full) service manual.

However the 2 cables supplied, 1 had a live (red) and an earth (black) crocodile clips and one green bullet (female) connector, the other cable had a three pin block, red, black and green. (Ordered it by part number from the Netherlands, only place online I could find)

On the FI unit itself it has 4 pins out. Removed the 3 pin block connector and connected the spades in to the diag connector according to colour (and multimeter tested). Added a wire into the unused pin on the FI unit and alternatively tried the original green and the added wire for the unused pin on the FI unit in the top 2 (blue/blk) & B(blu/red) both at the same time and each individually on it's own (turn on ignition, turn on ignition with mode button held down, etc,etc) . (Obviously check for voltage and continuity between these 2 to make sure no short, etc)

As for dealer advice, I know how that story goes. Been in the motor trade 15+ years. "You need to bring that in sir, blah blah.. It's going to cost you £££££... Oh and we don't do weekends and are only open when you need to go to work" all the while it's a 2 bob o2 sensor that takes 5 minutes to replace...

If I can find out what the error code is, I can decide whether I can attempt to repair myself or take a day off work to get it looked at if beyond my capabilities

Where did you get your setup and how much was it?

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
Not good to wait 10mins with your engine running - it's easy to overheat a bike engine. I had a Triumph radiator blow out at a traffic light in France - not an experience I'd want to repeat! Best to switch off your engine (or jump the faulty lights!).

But, your bike is still well within warranty. Have the dealer check it out but don't mention the 10 min wait at the red light! It shouldn't cost you anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
viz1976, if you get an OBD2 reader (like the Maxiscan MS309) and when you're able to read the error code, you should be able to erase it. This should also clear the 'engine trouble' light. Hopefully, if the fault is temporary one, that will be the end of the problem.

If the 'engine trouble' light and error code return you'll know it's a hard fault that needs a proper fix.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not good to wait 10mins with your engine running - it's easy to overheat a bike engine. I had a Triumph radiator blow out at a traffic light in France - not an experience I'd want to repeat! Best to switch off your engine (or jump the faulty lights!).

But, your bike is still well within warranty. Have the dealer check it out but don't mention the 10 min wait at the red light! It shouldn't cost you anything.
Hopefully there aren't any obvious signs that the engine overheat since if they look for that, we all know what it could lead to.

Looking forward to an update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wex700, ordered the cable and maxiscan ms309. I have a copy of the full service manual, so that should help too... Thanks again for sharing.

Planning to see what the error code was related to, and act accordingly. I'm not a mechanic, but work in a highly technically and mechanically skilled field, and can follow instructions pretty good, so can do most of the minor (well, what I consider to be minor) things myself (oil and filter, brake fluid and pads, coolant, air filter change, etc)

If it was something more severe, depending on severity, either, 1. erase the code and if it throws up again, get it looked at, or, 2. get it looked at ASAP.

Could be any of a number of things, aftermarket exhaust (black widow 200SS) so could be o2 sensor related (would be able to replace myself if it is), and my fuel cap doesn't fit as snug (about 3-5mm travel) as it has on any of my previous bikes or my other current bike (Kawa Z1000SX)

As for the overheating thing, I doubt it overheated, as the fan kicked in at 106C. and cooled it down to about 98C. (only once, light changed before it got up to about 104)

Bottom line, it still runs absolutely fine (spoke to an authorised service centre and they said should be OK to ride if it feels and sounds OK (but get in ASAP to see what the code relates to))

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
Hopefully there aren't any obvious signs that the engine overheat since if they look for that, we all know what it could lead to.
Hope you're not thinking recall! If there was an XSR overheating issue, it would have emerged already in the MT-07. I think we can sleep soundly!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the cable at lunch-time, borrowed another CAN compatible ODB tool.

Turns out this was the cause for the light:

Last thing I did before putting the bike away before the ride where the light popped up, was to give it a good wash and chain clean/lube. While on the paddock stand, I turned on the engine and put it into first gear (I know it's not recommended, but I always do this to get an even spread of lube, and it works great for me).
The light must have been on from go on the day I spotted it, but maybe I failed to notice it until I stopped at the temp traffic lights, (only a minute down the road)

Anyways, Code P0500 - Vehicle speed sensor. Incidentally, the guy I bought the cable from on eBay, came about figuring out the pin-outs while having the same fault on his MT10, caused by the same thing...

Cleared and all good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good news :smile2:

I wonder if water got into the speed sensor, when you were washing the bike and has since dried out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
wex700, ordered the cable and maxiscan ms309. I have a copy of the full service manual, so that should help too... Thanks again for sharing.

Planning to see what the error code was related to, and act accordingly. I'm not a mechanic, but work in a highly technically and mechanically skilled field, and can follow instructions pretty good, so can do most of the minor (well, what I consider to be minor) things myself (oil and filter, brake fluid and pads, coolant, air filter change, etc)

If it was something more severe, depending on severity, either, 1. erase the code and if it throws up again, get it looked at, or, 2. get it looked at ASAP.

Could be any of a number of things, aftermarket exhaust (black widow 200SS) so could be o2 sensor related (would be able to replace myself if it is), and my fuel cap doesn't fit as snug (about 3-5mm travel) as it has on any of my previous bikes or my other current bike (Kawa Z1000SX)

As for the overheating thing, I doubt it overheated, as the fan kicked in at 106C. and cooled it down to about 98C. (only once, light changed before it got up to about 104)

Bottom line, it still runs absolutely fine (spoke to an authorised service centre and they said should be OK to ride if it feels and sounds OK (but get in ASAP to see what the code relates to))
where did you get the manual?

mine did a weird grumpy start the other day when left at work all day, about 2C and wet

it started, wouldnt blip, died, then wouldnt properly catch, took a few goes and i was in a rush to pick my lad up :(

my first Yam and I'm not gonna be impressed if at 1200 miles it doesnt like to start :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
It cost me about £25 in total from ebay for the cable and the OBD2 reader.

You can search ebay for the reader 'Maxiscan MS309'.

Go to the following link for the cable (Yamaha 4-pin to OBD2 Diagnostic Cable).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292099020041?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Note, the cable seller does not list the XSR700, but it does work.

Hey Wex ,
Do you by any chance live in london. My pipe came off from the clamp and had to remove O2 sensor and drive it. Light came on and would like to get rid of it. I know its due to exhaust. Can you help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi gamangunit, sorry I don't live in London.

Assuming you put the O2 sensor back, it’s not difficult to clear the engine fault light - if it’s a temporary fault. If it’s a permanent fault, that will require the faulty component to be replaced.

You will need to get an OBD2 scanner and cable. Ebay is the easiest source for these items.

See the links below:

Scanner - MS309 Fault Code Reader Scanner Car Engine OBD EOBD Acura Buick Dodge Lotus GMC | eBay

Cable - Yamaha 4-pin to OBD2 Diagnostic Cable OBD Fault Code Reader Adaptor | eBay

The scanner is easy to use, see the Youtube video -

It's going to be very similar for the XSR700.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi gamangunit, sorry I don't live in London.

Assuming you put the O2 sensor back, it’s not difficult to clear the engine fault light - if it’s a temporary fault. If it’s a permanent fault, that will require the faulty component to be replaced.

You will need to get an OBD2 scanner and cable. Ebay is the easiest source for these items.

See the links below:

Scanner - MS309 Fault Code Reader Scanner Car Engine OBD EOBD Acura Buick Dodge Lotus GMC | eBay

Cable - Yamaha 4-pin to OBD2 Diagnostic Cable OBD Fault Code Reader Adaptor | eBay

The scanner is easy to use, see the Youtube video -

It's going to be very similar for the XSR700.
Great thank you ..!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts