XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New rider here. The XSR700 is my first bike and I love it.
I have a question about tightening the chain and where to measure from. The manual says to measure the distance from the bottom of the chain guard but the bottom of the chain guard has two points.
The higher of the two (A) looks like where they intend you to measure from since it nicely holds the end of a tape or stick, but the lower point (B) is technically the bottom of the chain guard.
There's a quarter of an inch difference between the two which is enough to make the difference between a chain that's too loose and a chain that's too tight.

Anyone have experience with Yamaha on this?

I'd also love to hear more about chain maintenance in general, ex. does that little bit of gunk in the middle of my chain mean it's time for a cleaning? How much chain lube is too much? After putting the rear on a center stand, is it okay to lube it while it's idling in 1st or should I just spin the chain with my hand?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
1) I don't care about manual recommandation.
For all my bikes, the perfect tightening is between 20mm to 30mm (see pic)

2) when your bike is in a center stand, never lube the chain with idling engine and first gear engaged !
Just spin the wheel with your hand and lube the interior of the chain.

3) check your chain every 500 km
Less if it's rainy... never in california :D

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
I'd measure from the bottom of the guide (B in your pic), but I wouldn't worry too much! If it's 'about right', it'll be fine. Too tight and it will wear the chain and sprockets too fast, too loose and it will wear the guide and eventually jump. Perhaps I'm too complacent, but I just tend to waggle mine a bit - if it feels about right, it'll do!

Don't worry about cleaning the chain, unless you lube with chain wax and have a huge build up of crud. Too much cleaning will remove lube from the rollers and may damage O ring seals. I've never cleaned my '16 XSR's chain. Lube it when it looks very dry or starts to show rust spots. I lube mine about every 200 miles, (say 300km), but more often if it's had a thorough soaking in wet weather or is used on salted roads in winter. If you have a paddock stand, spin the wheel slowly by hand and make sure you get lube on both sides of the chain, but preferably not on the brake discs or pads!

PS I agree with Hotwheels - lubing while the bike is running in gear is a VERY BAD IDEA!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd measure from the bottom of the guide (B in your pic), but I wouldn't worry too much! If it's 'about right', it'll be fine. Too tight and it will wear the chain and sprockets too fast, too loose and it will wear the guide and eventually jump. Perhaps I'm too complacent, but I just tend to waggle mine a bit - if it feels about right, it'll do!

Don't worry about cleaning the chain, unless you lube with chain wax and have a huge build up of crud. Too much cleaning will remove lube from the rollers and may damage O ring seals. I've never cleaned my '16 XSR's chain. Lube it when it looks very dry or starts to show rust spots. I lube mine about every 200 miles, (say 300km), but more often if it's had a thorough soaking in wet weather or is used on salted roads in winter. If you have a paddock stand, spin the wheel slowly by hand and make sure you get lube on both sides of the chain, but preferably not on the brake discs or pads!

PS I agree with Hotwheels - lubing while the bike is running in gear is a VERY BAD IDEA!
I'd disagree with not cleaning the chain. Dirt & grime will do more long term damage than gently cleaning with a o-ring friendly nylon brush.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oxford 3 sided chain cleaning brush about a £/€10... kerosene / paraffin for cleaning. Wash off and spray on chain lube (if chain is warm this helps ) my fave is silkolene titanium dry chain lube.
My MT 09tracer required one adjustment in 4 thousand miles.
If you can afford it buy the chain adjusters with built in bobbins from Yamaha... not cheap but probably worth the outlay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts