XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dedicated chain cleaner and a thick bristle brush/chain cleaner tool. Then hit it with some wire wool or wire brush if they’re are any rust spots. Finish go over the whole thing with a clean old rag with some more chain cleaner soaked on. 👌🏼 Get it as new every time. Easier with a paddock stand or centre stand if you have one…

🇫🇷 - Nettoyant pour chaîne dédié et brosse à poils épais/outil de nettoyage de chaîne. Ensuite, frappez-le avec de la laine métallique ou une brosse métallique s'il y a des taches de rouille. Terminez le tout avec un vieux chiffon propre avec un peu plus de nettoyant pour chaîne imbibé. 👌🏼 Obtenez-le comme neuf à chaque fois. Plus facile avec une béquille de paddock ou une béquille centrale si vous en avez une…

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wipe the chain down with a rag, use kerosene with a chain brush, then repeat both steps as needed. It is inexpensive and will not damage the o-rings/x-rings. All you're trying to do is get the grime out (mostly stuck to the old lube, the cleaner breaks it down and gets the particulates away from the o-rings) and keep dirt from wearing away the rubber.

All of the chain's required lubricant is on the INSIDE of the chain, so the primary goal with lubing is to keep the o-rings from drying out so they keep the factory grease in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For some reason I feel the chain works more smoothly when lubed. Perhaps less noisy and just smoother overall. So I believe there is some effect to it, chain will touch sprockets for example and perhaps lubing will decrease friction, but I have no scientific evidence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts