XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to ensure the chain is aligned correctly on the XSR700 ? I have done plenty of chain adjustments on various bikes but the alignment is difficult to see on the XSR700 due to the chain guard. I have an alignment tool that bolts to the socket so I would normally just remove the guard but as its part of the hugger it seems a bit of a hassle so has anybody found an easier way ? Are the swing arm marks accurate or is measuring the length of the exposed alignment thread a rough guide to alignment ? I know you can bolt long lengths of wood either side of the rear wheel and measure or use sight to see the alignment but it's difficult to get a straight bit of wood these days. I have got it somewhere near but any fool proof ideas would be welcome before I fit my MGS swing arm sliders/bobbins (Good looking quality bit of kit and quick delivery all in for £40, as long as they fit OK) through the rear axle. Thanks, Onslowe

·
Registered
366 Posts
I simply make sure the chain is aligned with the rear sprocket. It has been my experience that today's marks on the swingarm are much more accurate than they were 30 or 40 years ago when they could be off by quite a bit. When I tighten the adjusters I go 1/4 turn at a time until I'm happy with the slack. Getting a straight line between the front and rear is a lot harder today than it used to be because most rear tires are a lot wider than the front (at least on sport bikes) which makes using a straight edge difficult.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts