XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my XSR700 2021 Euro5 model on April 12th, 2021. I had my previous bike a long time ago, when I was a teenager. That was a Gagiva Freccia C12R, I loved that bike. Since then I have dreamed about buying a motorcycle, but I never did it, until now. I went to my local dealer on February and ordered XSR700. I also checked out the BMW F900R, but when I showed a picture to my wife, she replied: "that is butt ugly". I am glad she did. So I went back to a drawing board, and next day went to Yamaha dealer, and ordered XSR700. Didn't ask anymore for confirmation from my wife. But XSR700 is definitely a wife-approved now. Buying BMW also felt a bit like buying a car with a lot of equipments, sync with phone and stuff like that. I was initially interested in those as I am a bit of a techie. But then I realised that I am always surrounded by tech, and changed my viewpoint 180 degrees. I want a bike that has is a freakin' bike, and that's it. And XSR700 fits that bill great!

I have started to do some modifications and buying tools, here you go!

Abba Superbike Stand (from abba online):

Frame tube ends (From IKH, a local hw-store):

Kriega Bag Fittings (ordered online):

Radiator Guard (Urbano Bruni, painted in black, and I used the included washers as they straighten it up a bit):

I have a few other things waiting to be installed. I'll keep you updated! This forum has already been hugely helpful for me! Thank you for your posts and contributions!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I got my XSR700 2021 Euro5 model on April 12th, 2021. I had my previous bike a long time ago, when I was a teenager. That was a Gagiva Freccia C12R, I loved that bike. Since then I have dreamed about buying a motorcycle, but I never did it, until now. I went to my local dealer on February and ordered XSR700. I also checked out the BMW F900R, but when I showed a picture to my wife, she replied: "that is butt ugly". I am glad she did. So I went back to a drawing board, and next day went to Yamaha dealer, and ordered XSR700. Didn't ask anymore for confirmation from my wife. But XSR700 is definitely a wife-approved now. Buying BMW also felt a bit like buying a car with a lot of equipments, sync with phone and stuff like that. I was initially interested in those as I am a bit of a techie. But then I realised that I am always surrounded by tech, and changed my viewpoint 180 degrees. I want a bike that has is a freakin' bike, and that's it. And XSR700 fits that bill great!

I have started to do some modifications and buying tools, here you go!

Abba Superbike Stand (from abba online):

View attachment 25919

Frame tube ends (From IKH, a local hw-store):

View attachment 25916
View attachment 25917

Kriega Bag Fittings (ordered online):

View attachment 25918
View attachment 25920

Radiator Guard (Urbano Bruni, painted in black, and I used the included washers as they straighten it up a bit):

View attachment 25921

I have a few other things waiting to be installed. I'll keep you updated! This forum has already been hugely helpful for me! Thank you for your posts and contributions!
Congratulations. Enjoy. Did those Michelin Road5s come stock?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Congratulations. Enjoy. Did those Michelin Road5s come stock?
Yes, they are stock, as are the bigger brake discs and the cat. With the new cat the dealer said that it is even more silent now. He probably wanted to sell me another exhaust, but I like it less noisy, that is how they are going to be in future anyway with new regulations. And it is kinda nice that it hides the power, :) (or doesn't try to make a number of itself, or sounding more powerful than it actually is – tone could be nicer, I agree).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes, they are stock, as are the bigger brake discs and the cat. With the new cat the dealer said that it is even more silent now. He probably wanted to sell me another exhaust, but I like it less noisy, that is how they are going to be in future anyway with new regulations. And it is kinda nice that it hides the power, :) (or doesn't try to make a number of itself, or sounding more powerful than it actually is – tone could be nicer, I agree).
Agreed the sound is fine. When I rev the bike in the driveway I know you can hear it all the way down the street anyway. It's silence is more at idle. I am so impressed Yamaha knew to upspec the tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great choice of bike - from one returning biker to another. Had a 20 year hiccup but now couldn’t be happier
Totally agree with your comments about the noise but I think it could sound nicer

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some additions:

Back axle protectors (Yamaha original accessories), before:

After:

Front axle protectors (Yamaha original accessories), before:

After:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Side carters right (Urbano Bruni), before:

After:

There was one issue with this that I need to still resolve, the small security torx right from the brake reservoir does not hold the panel. I am not sure why Yamaha might have changed that from hex to security torx (pictures on urbano bruni show that as normal wide hex).

Side carters left, before:

After:

(after taking that shot, I removed it again, and adjusted the cable tie to have the knob inside the carter).

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum, bungle. Interesting to see PR5s as standard on the new bike.....looks like Yamaha might have finally ditched the Phantoms (not before time). The Tracer 700 originally came with PR4s, then PR5s - a far superior tyre to the Pirellis. Enjoy your bike!

Reactions: bungle

·
Registered
550 Posts
FYI, the battery that came with my XSR700 2021 is this (perhaps it has stayed the same):
All same same, no changes to the battery...

Congratulations and enjoy your new ride. You make some nice, fair words and comments. I am bored since weeks when I see one 'biker' after the other tumbling in here and asking for more sound and only intend to go for more noise.
So I'm sure your dealer is wrong and only wanted to sell something. A silencer is for reducing the noise, a catalyser will clean the exhaust gases. it would be a wounder if Yamaha invented a cat doing both now.

Regarding BMWs they follow different rules of aesthetics. You have to love it or like your wife, you need not to do so. I was a litle lurking to the new F900. The previous F was tested that boring that your face will fall to sleep when riding. The actual one shall be more alive, but...
It is not alone the all new China engine what let me hesitate, think BMW will have a close view over their Chinese shoulders to check everything. Or some weeks or months of my riding season will be done on an other bike, because the dealer can not fix the problems. What can happen with a all new BMW models. But what made me really turn away is the focus on 'connectivity'. That term takes more space in advertising meanwhile than the fact sheets of the motorcycle. That scares me away from other makes as well.

So, as said congratulations and enjoy your ride, many happy kilometers,

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I solved the security torx issue that I had with UB carter with a rubber bushing (in case others have similar issues), I could not find black hexs or black washers easily on local hw-stores, and didn't want to order one online:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Bungle . Love the look of your bike and the understated yet cool mods you’ve made. Do you have any pics of your Kriega luggage on the bike- would love to know how that looks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hey Bungle . Love the look of your bike and the understated yet cool mods you’ve made. Do you have any pics of your Kriega luggage on the bike- would love to know how that looks
Here is a picture of Kriega US20 attached to bike. I have in that bag my Padel racket, 1 litre of water, my padel shoes, shorts and t-shirt. The racket barely fits the US20. It could be mounted sideways too, but it feels a bit more natural like this. When riding, the bag is touching your back a bit, but it is not that bad or uncomfortable. I barely feel it. Also the two (one on each side) Kriega fittings that I attached to the very back should probably be even further back. There is probably a way, while still attached to frame. The bag also sits a bit on top of the backlight, but I have not found it an issue. It could be better, but it is not bad either. It would probably work better with something like Givi Rack (MY MOTORCYCLE - YAMAHA XSR700-16--20 - SR2126 - Givi), I am still thinking should I go with that, and perhaps Kriega US30 too (I think US20 is perhaps a bit too small). Good thing is that the bag is securely attached, it barely moves at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If anyone wants to know what Oxford Protex Premium Stretch indoor cover, size medium, looks on "stock" XSR700, here are some photos. I use it on non-rainy days outside too to get some UV protection and to cover the bike from pollen (some of it is pretty sticky).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the understated yet cool mods you’ve made.
Yes, I decided to start slowly. I don't want to make changes until I know I really want or need them. Perhaps after a year of riding it, I already know better. But it feels pretty damn nice stock too. People who designed and built it, have put some thoughts on it, and I need to understand it better until I make conclusions on my own. And there are a lot of other things to get used to with this hobby. Like maintaining and taking care of it. And most of all, riding it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Replaced plastic chain guard and foot rest plates with aluminium ones (Urbano Bruni).

Before:

After:

Other side before:

After:

All in all, I am happy. Makes removing the chain guard easy (no plastic pins anymore), here from the back:

In this picture you can see my scratched swing arm above the sticker. I got it in warranty, so that will be replaced later. Now I have driven this for 5.500 km.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also changed the coolant tank cover from plastic to aluminium (still from Urbano Bruni), before:

After:

If there is anything to complain about it, I would say that it does not cover the tank as much as the plastic one, as you can see from this angle:

Next I am getting that swing arm replacement. The weather has been turning horrible here in Finland. Mostly just raining. I also got to drive some 800 kms on quite heavy rain with my XSR. The bike worked fine. The driver less so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts