XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s talk indicators! Like many people here I do not like the bulky standard indicators on the XSR700, so I started looking for some good-looking aftermarket indicators. My main parameters are:
-preferably LED units
-they have to be very small or if they are not they have to fit the style of the bike
-they can’t be expensive (I am looking to spend the necessary on my suspension upgrades meaning that in order not to break the bank all the “visual” mods need to be on a budget).
Taking into account these parameters I started digging through aliexpress and Ebay and I ended up with 2 style options: retro bullet indicators or some sort of mini indicators (bar end indicators are at the moment off the table because of the bar end mirrors I plan to install). Below are the different options I came across.

Style 1: Bullet indicators

The reason I started looking into bullet indicators is a picture I saw somewhere on this forum of a bike with the Kellerman bullet indicators. They looked really good, but at a whopping 100 euro’s a piece way outside of budget
Price: 100 euro a piece!
link

so above isn't really an option because of the cost. below are the alternatives:

Option 1:

These have a more “chopper” feel to me and are on the larger side.
Price: 3.3 euro/pc
Size: 45mm diameter
link

Option 2:

These are more slender but still on the larger side, not sure if they won't look too bulky
Price: 11 euro/pair
Size: 30mm diameter, 76mm long.
link

Option 3:

I like the style of these, especially when the lights are on, but they are also on the large side.
Price: 15.6 euro/piece
Size: 38mm diameter, 70mm length
link

Option 4:

At 16 euro per pair these are not expensive, but they have about the same dimensions as the ones above which makes me feel they will look to bulky.
Price: 16 euro/pair
Size: 4cm diameter, 7-8 cm in length
link

Option 5:

I like these, they are smaller than most of the bullet indicators I’ve come across but are pricey.
Price: 49 euro/pair
Size: 2cm diameter, 4.2 cm length
link

Option 6:

These are also smaller than most of the above, I’m not sure I like the lens that much but at 7.8 euro for the pair they are quite a bit cheaper than the ones from max-inc.
Price: 7.8 euro/pair
Size: 1.9mm diameter, 4.3mm in length
link

Below you can find the other indicators I looked at but didn’t make it through the first selection, I figured I might as well post them here as I did the work anyway and it might help someone down the line.

Option 7:

too bulky and too retro for me.
Price: 26 euro per pair
Size: diameter 3.8 cm
link

Option 8:

don’t like the plastic look of these.
link

Option 9:

don’t like the style + too big
link

Option 10:

don’t like the style of these at all (if there was a puke smiley i would use it here)
link

Style 2: Mini indicators

Most aftermarket indicators seem too modern to me so the ones below need to make this up by being small and by not attracting too much attention.

Option 11:

These are quite small and although the shape is a bit modern, the size seems to make up for it, but at 44euro/pair there are better alternatives in the list.
Price: 44euro/pair.
Size: 25x13mm
link

Option 12:

These are a bit different and to be honest I quite like them, the downsides are that they are way too expensive for my budget and that they seem to be for the rear only (integrated red led) and I’m not sure how they would fit at the front.
Price: 83 euro/pair.
Size: 50x17x20mm
link

Option 13:

These might be an alternative to the pin indicators (from M-blaze?), not sure if they will be bright enough though as the sides of the indicators seem to be matte.
Price: 16 euro/pair
Size: 18mm diameter and 18mm stick out
link

Option 14:

These are also quite small, very cheap, but visually don’t really do much for me.
Price: 3 euro/piece.
Size: 18mm x 27mm.
link

Again, below the ones that didn’t make it past the first selection.

Option 15:

These are similar too the first one in the mini indicator list but slightly bigger.
Price: 4euro/piece
link

Option 16:

These are meant as bar end indicators but can also be modded to be installed otherwise, they look a bit weird to me.
Price: 10 euro/piece.
Size: 35mm x 28mm.
link

So, there are some budget options available but It is looking like it will be difficult to get something good-looking on a budget and I might have to look at more expensive options or compromise on looks , my top 3 from the above is:
1) option 5 (but too expensive)
2) option 6
3) option 13

Other items I’ll be ordering for this modification:
- indicator leads (don’t like to cut off connectors if I don’t have to), like these. Not sure if they will fit, I’ll have to double check when I get home from the inlaws
-led flasher relais (link)
-adaptor plates to mount the indicators
some feedback from you guys would be helpfull:
- Let me know what you guys think about the different options
- Let me know if I missed any budget options
- Post pictures of your aftermarket indicators (maybe I am wrong about modern indicators not fitting the bike or maybe I am wrong about some of the above being too big)
- Which adaptor plates did you guys use to fit aftermarket indicators to your bike

·
Registered
36 Posts
#13 are my fav of your list.

Adapters I used. You’ll need 8 total. Warning, it took a some filing and smoothing to get them to fit properly on both my stock front mounts and evotech tail tidy. Yamaha Turn Signal Adapters Spacers for Aftermarket Stalk Type Indicators Front or Rear

Signals I went with (way too expensive but i fell in love with the look). https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk//...ck-spark-led-indicators-smoked-lens-p129/s141

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jphoman,

Yours look good on the bike though, and looking at the picture where you are holding them in your hand, I expected them to look bigger on the bike.

Actually, with regards to size they seem to be in the same ballpark as my option 14 which means that these will also look smaller than I expected.

Yours do look a lot nicer though.

Thanks for the link to the adaptor plates, a bit of modification work is no problem to me.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks! I think your #14 and even 13 have more width. May stick out roughly the same as mine but your references would be thicker. Also, those stock pumpkins are huuuuge, but not LED. The small LEDs are bright enough in the dark so I don’t worry about being seen.

Jacob
Bike: 2018 XSR700, brushed aluminum
Mods & Gear: cappuccinomoto.com/moto

·
Registered
25 Posts
awesome thread. thanks for starting this and hope you find what you're looking for man. (i like your option 5 too. )
do you have any plans for the tail lamp? even more frustrating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey jacob.

i've been looking at super mini lights as well but had same concern about visibility.
night being ok is understood but what about during the day - how have you found them to work when it's bright?

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey jacob.

i've been looking at super mini lights as well but had same concern about visibility.
night being ok is understood but what about during the day - how have you found them to work when it's bright?
I have these ..or very very similar.
They are super bright and easily seen in daylight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts