XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday whilst I was parked up at the local Yamaha dealer, finding out how much the 600 mile service will cost, I noticed brake fluid over the swinging arm. It turns out it was leaking from the banjo bolt on the rear caliper. Now the odd thing is that bolt was already quite tight and needed tightening some more. (A thank you to the dealer JT's (not where I got the bike from) for sorting that as I didn't have tools on me.) Not what you expect from a week old bike and I'm wondering if the copper washer is any good as that bolt should not have to be so tight to seal. It's not leaking now so I'll leave it alone for now but when it does go in for the service I'll mention it and hopefully I can get them to replace the copper washer.

First thing on my 'things to get' list is a rear paddock stand then as funds allow, radiator cover, fork gaiters, crash bars and speedo mount mod. If funds really allow then I'll throw in an exhaust and centre stand.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If it's fine now after the dealer torqued it, it may not have been torqued to spec in the first place. As long as you don't have any more leaking, I'd leave well enough alone. Having an extra washer isn't a bad idea but the only time you really need one is after you've taken the banjo off for some reason. The most important thing is to make sure the mating surfaces are really clean, no dirt or anything else between the surfaces.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Flyerdon. My point really was about how tight the banjo bolt had to be to stop the leak. I've done many a bolt like that up over the years and they don't normally have to be that tight so I thought maybe it needs a new copper washer not an extra one or maybe as you suggested it has a bit odf dirt under there. The local dealer asked where I bought the bike and then informed me that they have heard of others having trouble after buying bikes at that place. Could just be nonsense.

·
Registered
160 Posts
How is your rear brake generally, I have bled mine repeatedly and its still pretty awful. Might change the pads even though they have plenty of meat left.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not much to write home about actually but the guy at the dealership said that's pretty normal. Front one is fine and that's what really matters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts