XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, probably will take some heat on this first post but here we go. I've been a TW200 rider for lets just say many decades. Love the bike and everywhere it can go but it lacks comfortable road speeds and vibrates like a broken mixer at 50mph. Im a 60% pavement, 40% dirt road guy with some farm duties as well. Been spreading a couple hundred pounds of rye grass seed with my bike for years across many acres along a creek and pasture. Yes, much faster than my tractor and much funner also. Planning to acquire a XSR700 and put some new TW sized rubber on it. That would be 180/80-14 rear and currently have 5.10-18 up front. Anyone know if this possible on XSR frame and aside from fender changes what else would I need to address. In Alabama it seems xsr900s are everywhere but 700s are like ghosts especially low mileage ones so figured I would plan out my changes until the right ride comes along. Appreciate the feedback!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a funny pic but the ball hitch does give me some ideas. Anyone put a ball on an XSR? I do zip tie my spreader to the rear rack but I'm from Alabama so one should expect that. I am more interested in the 180 width than rim size just don't want pizza cutters.

· Registered
781 Posts
From the picture I am betting doing the knobbiest dual sport tire on the 17 would give you the width and be darn near the same OD as the TW tire. The front might be a bit smaller, but darn near as wide using the 17. Just go fat dual sport tires on the XSR if you insist on doing the same thing to it as the TW.

· Registered
327 Posts
There are plenty of people running more aggressive tires on the XSR700. TKC-80s are available in the 'correct' sizes, but you can use alternate sizes fine in most cases, if perhaps with minor front fender raising. MotoZ GPS Tractionators are being used on the rear. (@gnarlydog should chime in shortly) The more realistic issue may be that the XSR700 weighs 435 lbs as opposed to the TDub's 278 lbs. Not sure what speed you're spreading seed at, but I'd wager the TW will putt along slower than the XSR700.

The TW200 IS agricultural equipment. I'm not sure you'll enjoy duplicating your chores with the XSR.

· Registered
436 Posts
As @EricV said the XSR is probably the almost opposite to the TW. It is designed as a road bike dressed in retro.

In saying that I like to use mine on dirt roads but certainly that is a sustained speed, not seed-spreading walking pace.
I don't like wide tyres (skinny ones work better off road) and I usually go for a 170/60 rear. Front unfortunately is a 17" rim and to get better bump-absorption I mount a 120/90 (effective 19" feel) even if somehow I wish I could go narrower (rotation weight of that chunky tyre is felt a bit at speed)

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the advice. The seed spread is a once a year event but helps the wife understand the necessity of a two wheel implement to assist with the task. It is not a slow speed walk endeavor but mostly 2-3rd gear. @gnarlydog I do indeed like your shoe choices on your XSR...very nice looking rig. My TW has a Bridgestone Trail Wing rear. I've had a few TTRs with pizza cutters and always seemed to end up stuck until the TW entered my life. You have no idea what rotation weight of a chunky tire feels like until you have pushed a Tdub to 60 for 30 mins. You spend the rest of the afternoon with numb fingers....I believe the XSR will treat my old bones a tad nicer at this speed.

· Registered
436 Posts
Thank you all for the advice. The seed spread is a once a year event but helps the wife understand the necessity of a two wheel implement to assist with the task. It is not a slow speed walk endeavor but mostly 2-3rd gear. @gnarlydog I do indeed like your shoe choices on your XSR...very nice looking rig. My TW has a Bridgestone Trail Wing rear. I've had a few TTRs with pizza cutters and always seemed to end up stuck until the TW entered my life. You have no idea what rotation weight of a chunky tire feels like until you have pushed a Tdub to 60 for 30 mins. You spend the rest of the afternoon with numb fingers....I believe the XSR will treat my old bones a tad nicer at this speed.
ah, "justification" to the "Minister of Finance"
The XSR will indeed be the best bike for seed spreading, whatever that seed might be ;)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bingo! In the photo with the cattle guard where did you get the extra set of lights? You can never have too much light especially in rural areas. Removed my stock and added one for low beam and high beam. I may still hit something at night but I certainly got a good look at it prior.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts