XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only today found out that my XSR700 needs 95RON petrol!! I have been putting 91RON petrol for 1500km since I bought it new... Obviously there is nothing I can do to change the past, but does anyone reckon that there would have been a detrimental effect whilst the motorbike was running on 91RON petrol?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Using lower octane fuel can cause knocking burn, that's detonation due to compression, not by the spark. It's quite audible so if you didn't experience it all will be fine, just stick to 95 and above from now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I only today found out that my XSR700 needs 95RON petrol!! I have been putting 91RON petrol for 1500km since I bought it new...

Do you have a different bike than the rest of us?

I'm checking the manual and it says 91 RON is exactly what it needs.

(In North America, 86 octane, regular unleaded, is what's needed).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I only today found out that my XSR700 needs 95RON petrol!! I have been putting 91RON petrol for 1500km since I bought it new...

Do you have a different bike than the rest of us?

I'm checking the manual and it says 91 RON is exactly what it needs.

(In North America, 86 octane, regular unleaded, is what's needed).
Of course the salesman said I needed 90-95 North American octane rating. Does our engine benefit from higher octane rating?
This study comes to mind
https://youtu.be/dxAQmj3P8xs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here in Portugal we only have the 95 or 98 option...so no problem.
Same in Spain. When I bought the xsr700 the guy said that 95 was fine. There is not any extra benefit in using 98 on our motorcycle, since the engine doesn't need it, because of the horsepower that it has. So, 95 is fine

·
Registered
30 Posts
Of course the salesman said I needed 90-95 North American octane rating. Does our engine benefit from higher octane rating?
According to an engine engineer friend (worked for Ford, now working for Volvo), usually an engine is set-up, tuned, adjusted and optimized for the precise octane level recommended by the manufacturer.

Going higher or lower does not have benefits (contrary to popular belief), and is not recommended. This can even have some detrimental effects if done for a long time; nothing too serious, but things like some premature wear, or sooting and soiling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts