XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I purchased my XSR700 in March from new.
My usage of the bike up until present has been once or sometimes twice on a weekend for fairly long rides, averaging around 90-120 miles per ride, so the battery is getting a good charge.
I now use an Optimate 10 trickle charger.
Before using the trickle charger, there was a period where I missed one weekend riding, so the bike had not been used in a fortnight. When trying to start, I got the chirp but no start. The trickle charger said there was no charge in the battery.
I left the trickle charger on for 24 hours, and the battery failed the charge test the first time, but passed soon after.

It has since happened again, when the trickle charger was not connected and left for almost a fortnight, and wouldn't start again.
In the first instance, there were no additionals connected to the battery. On the second occurrence, a USB socket and the trickle charger dongle had been connected to the battery, but should not be using the battery when nothing is connected to them.
The bike is garaged stored in temperatures between 7 to 16 degrees celsius.

Is it normal for a new, fully charged battery to not last more than 2 weeks?

·
Registered
464 Posts
No, a new (or even a four/five years old) battery) should start the XSR after four months of being stored.

So there is something wrong at your bike. An hidden load or consumer and the the optimate should be connected directly to the battery. Loading through an USB socket will not work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, four months is quite a difference so yes, something is clearly wrong.

Perhaps I wasn't clear about the optimate trickle charger. The charger has its own proprietary dongle that can be attached to the bike battery. Then, when I need to connect the trickle charger to the bike, I don't have to access the battery directly, just simply plug the charger into the dongle instead.
The USB hub socket is completely separate. That also, is directly connected to the battery (just like the charger dongle), but the USB hub is only used to charge my phone or another device via USB.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey all,

I purchased my XSR700 in March from new.
My usage of the bike up until present has been once or sometimes twice on a weekend for fairly long rides, averaging around 90-120 miles per ride, so the battery is getting a good charge.
I now use an Optimate 10 trickle charger.
Before using the trickle charger, there was a period where I missed one weekend riding, so the bike had not been used in a fortnight. When trying to start, I got the chirp but no start. The trickle charger said there was no charge in the battery.
I left the trickle charger on for 24 hours, and the battery failed the charge test the first time, but passed soon after.

It has since happened again, when the trickle charger was not connected and left for almost a fortnight, and wouldn't start again.
In the first instance, there were no additionals connected to the battery. On the second occurrence, a USB socket and the trickle charger dongle had been connected to the battery, but should not be using the battery when nothing is connected to them.
The bike is garaged stored in temperatures between 7 to 16 degrees celsius.

Is it normal for a new, fully charged battery to not last more than 2 weeks?
I bought my bike new but as a left over from the year before. I also had problems with the battery after just about a year of having the bike. I could charge the battery, ride for a few hours and then it would start fine but after sitting for a few days it would be weak and not want to start the bike. Yuasa are considered a very good battery but like anything else, I suppose it's possible to get a bad one once in a while. I replaced the battery with a relatively cheap one and the problems disappeared.

·
Registered
464 Posts
[..]
The USB hub socket is completely separate. That also, is directly connected to the battery (just like the charger dongle), but the USB hub is only used to charge my phone or another device via USB.
If there is no urgent need to charge your phone while the XSR is switched off, I would only go for a switched USB socket supply. Think that socket will drain your battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If there is no urgent need to charge your phone while the XSR is switched off, I would only go for a switched USB socket supply. Think that socket will drain your battery.
I thought that too, but I had the battery drainage issue before attaching the USB socket to the battery. The battery drainage issue first happened when nothing additional was attached to the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought that too, but I had the battery drainage issue before attaching the USB socket to the battery. The battery drainage issue first happened when nothing additional was attached to the battery.
I’ve got the 2016 60th Anniversary and have had similar persistent battery issues. I had a BikeTrac tracker installed by the dealer so assumed that this could be the culprit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts