XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I feel I am not comfortable on the bike. I feel like I am stretching forward, my arms are straight and I am leaning on my wrists. I am 170 cm (5’ 7’’) ok for a woman but relatively low for a rider. So I was thinking about risers. Someone told me I could also get a taller handlebar but I have absolutely no idea what to look for. What do you think?

I have found the SW Motech risers but it’s only 2 cm (3/4’’) and they are expensive.
The Rox are even more expensive and I can’t find them locally, but at least they add 5 cm (2’’).
On ebay Gilles risers, which don’t say how much they elevate, and I cant’ figure how they work from that picture.
And of course some cheap knock-offs. Some look like Rox or Dimotiv. Do you think they would be safe?

https://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_odk...0&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=xsr+risers&_sacat=0
Am I correct that risers for 900/MT09 should work on our handlebar?

Now the question is – cables. If I use the Chinese riser that looks like Rox, do you think it would be necessary to change the cables?
If I use the one that looks like Dimotiv, it only elevates 15 mm (a bit less than 1/2’’) but brings the bar 3 cm (2 ¼’’) closer, would that be noticeable? Would the cables be sufficiently long for this?

I would appreciate your advice and recommendations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"I am not comfortable on the bike"
I have the same problem ... leaning forward requires that I crank my head back to look around as I ride. I have some arthritis problems in my neck, so this riding position is painful. I have been looking for quite some time for handlebars that bend back and up to replace the stock bars on the XSR700. A mechanic suggested "mini ape bars," but I cannot find any that taper like the bars on the XSR700 do ... 1 1/8" at the clamp to 7/8" at the ends of the bar. Does anyone have a source for handlebars for this bike that will come up and back to give the bike a more cruiser riding position?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm 173 tall, a bit scarse for a man, and I've been in the same situation.

One month ago I installed the 30mm SW-Motech risers from Amazon and its pretty noticeable but I was not completely satisfied so, I went a bit further. No cabling problem whatsoever.

I got a second hand original seat with the intention of converting it into a solo custom seat so I took it to a local upholsterer to be lowered, cut and to install a gel layer. I retrieved it yesterday and I am very happy with it. More testing is needed, of course.

If everything goes as expected, and no issues appear, I will most likely apply the same lowering to the standard seat.

Pictures soon, I have some other mods that I want to show to you and I want the bike to be, at least, clean :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I feel I am not comfortable on the bike. I feel like I am stretching forward, my arms are straight and I am leaning on my wrists. I am 170 cm (5’ 7’’) ok for a woman but relatively low for a rider.
I'm 5'8"... and a woman... and also a rider. :wink2: I was also considering risers. I just got the bike, and will take it for a longer ride this weekend to see what I think about the height of the stock bars. I like being able to stand over the potholes in the city, and noticed it's almost like riding a dirtbike... almost. Maybe some risers will make it just-right.

Did you end up getting risers yet?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know that some seat customisations reduce the height of the seat overall. Would this help to make the problem a little better? Just a thought also…

·
Registered
588 Posts
You don't need bar risers you need to either rotate the bars back, which I did first day because I have shorter arms at 31" reach. It definitely helps and doesn't cost a dime. I did the same with my old Nighthawk S, same with a Gold Wing standard, and same with my dual sports, but not as much rotation.

Another thought is to go to a bar with more pull back, I'm considering flat track bars once I figure out what I want.

The other thing is a bar offset or what is commonly called bar backs.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/HTTH-Handlebar-Bracket-Adventure-Silver/dp/B07VD33J3W/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=fat+bar+bar+risers+bar+backs&qid=1568218197&s=automotive&sr=1-3"]Click here[/ame] to see a set on Amazon for fat bars at around $33 for black or aluminum:

It will raise the bars about an inch, but most importantly it will move them back around an inch. That is what you need for shorter arms. Then rotate the bars a bit if needed.

·
Registered
588 Posts
With the lean of the present handlebar clamps I believe those offsets I recommended would not work properly, the bars may hit the tank. The straight risers would do the job for sure. They would raise the bars slightly and move them back an inch or so, depending on the size of the riser. I may be doing risers too, I still have too much reach forward for my arm length.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Wulf

I'm 175cm and find the handlebars are okay, but I do wish the seat was a little lower. How did you go about lowering your seat?

The solo one is Purrrrfect :)

I'm now going on with the standard one :laugh:

I just bought a second hand OEM seat on ebay, took it to a local upholsterer and, by test and error, they cut it as much as it could be cut, removed as much foam as I needed, installed a gel layer and used the same original lining plus a piece in the rear side just because of aesthetics.

I wanted a solo one, so, as i had two seats, I did not have to worry about not being able to ride or leave the bike and they could do it step by step and not in a rush. 5 days and it was all done.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have to give Yamaha credit for making their solo seat so we can interchange between the two without having to bolt or unbolt stuff. That is nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The solo one is Purrrrfect :)

I just bought a second hand OEM seat on ebay, took it to a local upholsterer and, by test and error, they cut it as much as it could be cut, removed as much foam as I needed, installed a gel layer and used the same original lining plus a piece in the rear side just because of aesthetics.

I wanted a solo one, so, as i had two seats, I did not have to worry about not being able to ride or leave the bike and they could do it step by step and not in a rush. 5 days and it was all done.
That's a bit of effort, but well done. It looks great and I'm sure it's really comfortable. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone tried the Voigt risers? Available in 22mm, 30mm and a 30mm with 21mm rear offset. They look good, German made, half price of SW Motech but I’m not sure which would be best or if the additional height and/or offset could cause issues with cable length or tank clash?
I would be happy to hear from anyone with the experience if these risers.
https://voigt-mt.de/Yamaha-XSR-700_3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts