XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, from what I've seen on this forum and others that I have been a member of over the past couple of years that Bar-end mirrors seem to be in vogue. OEM mirrors are in place because they are in line, or pretty close to in line with the direction of travel and where we need to be looking in order to avoid the obstacles that may be in our path. The mirrors on both my bikes and most I've ever owned place the mirrors about 4 to 5 inches above each hand. Not directly in my eye view, but pretty close so I only need to move my eyes slightly to go from straight ahead vision to rear view vision, probably a tenth or two of a second. With a Bar-end mirror, the eye movement is quite a bit increased to change focus from straight ahead to rear view. The mirror is now lower and further to the outside and if the mirror is turned down like I see some, it's another four or so inches lower requiring increased eye movement and refocusing. At 70 M.P.H. you are traveling about 102 ft. per second. We have to be aware that a simple check of the review mirror is a loss of attention to the direction we are headed and the further the mirror is from straight ahead, the further we are moving forward without seeing what's right in front of us. Now, we have to ask ourselves, "can I afford that loss or am I good enough to compensate and still be safe? Just an important question.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know, from what I've seen on this forum and others that I have been a member of over the past couple of years that Bar-end mirrors seem to be in vogue. OEM mirrors are in place because they are in line, or pretty close to in line with the direction of travel and where we need to be looking in order to avoid the obstacles that may be in our path. The mirrors on both my bikes and most I've ever owned place the mirrors about 4 to 5 inches above each hand. Not directly in my eye view, but pretty close so I only need to move my eyes slightly to go from straight ahead vision to rear view vision, probably a tenth or two of a second. With a Bar-end mirror, the eye movement is quite a bit increased to change focus from straight ahead to rear view. The mirror is now lower and further to the outside and if the mirror is turned down like I see some, it's another four or so inches lower requiring increased eye movement and refocusing. At 70 M.P.H. you are traveling about 102 ft. per second. We have to be aware that a simple check of the review mirror is a loss of attention to the direction we are headed and the further the mirror is from straight ahead, the further we are moving forward without seeing what's right in front of us. Now, we have to ask ourselves, "can I afford that loss or am I good enough to compensate and still be safe? Just an important question.
well poised, i agree they do pose a higher risk. but then in essence motorcycling as a whole has a higher risk of death twentyfold. where do you draw the line at risk?

extra milliseconds for your eyes to move another 0.3cm within their sockets? or restrict motorcycles to 60mph to reduce fatalities incurred within high speed crashes.

i completely agree with you, it is without a doubt more risky. i suppose it is just down to the rider at the end of the day and where they draw the line at risk of fatality/crash.

i personally run the risk and have bar end mirrors but i came into this game knowing im at a way higher risk, regardless of mirrors, than those in cars/public transport.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I like the OEM mirrors it came with. I think the site lines from both mirrors are great. I have no intention of changing them out. But you're right, it is a trend now, for some new bikes too. For example, the Triumph Speed Twin. Comes out of the box with bar end mirrors. I agree standard mirrors are safer but let's say someone gifted me a Speed Twin :-D, I wouldn't change those out for standard ones. I'd deal.

There is a fine line between safety and cool looking with these naked bikes. Would most of the people on this forum prefer the XSR to not have ABS? I bet not, I bet they are happy they have ABS. But ABS doesn't make the bike look less cool. People think the mirrors do. I don't think so. I think some of the super small bar end mirrors look ridiculous, but that's just MO. Bar end mirrors would become an obstruction for how I handle the bars sometimes. I like the freedom of hand placement at all times.

The tail tidy had to be done. Toning down the giant headlight housing had to be done. The hand levers, at least for me, had to be done. Mirrors? That's all show, like the tail and headlight, but yes it does make the bike less safe. Tail and Headlight mods do not. And swapping the levers? That does both, makes the bike safer and looks better.

Get hand levers first!

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
238 Posts
I run handguards, and mirrors like these.
I don't find it too life threatening to look tward the hand area.
Since they are not directly at the end of the bar, I can easily get my hand on/off the grip.
I even have the handguards that dip down where they meet the bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
Yamaha XSR 700 , 2018
84 Posts
I run handguards, and mirrors like these.
I don't find it too life threatening to look tward the hand area.
Since they are not directly at the end of the bar, I can easily get my hand on/off the grip.
I even have the handguards that dip down where they meet the bar.
I have handguards too and i could not find bar end mirrors for it.
Can you writte little info about your mirrors. Are you happy with them, how is visibility and do you need to drill holes in handguards to mount them?

Thank you!

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
238 Posts
Rottweiler is the company that makes the mounts. They sell expensive mirrors with them. I bought their mounts and less expensive mirrors.
I love them, I would do it again. You do have to drill the hand guards, the mounts come with templates.

·
Registered
Yamaha XSR 700 , 2018
84 Posts
Thank you so much for your quick reply and info! I will look into it and see if they have their products for sale in europe.
When i saw your photos my concern was visibility because they look small...so i am really glad that you find them good.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
238 Posts
Although they are a little small, I get pretty good view from them. They are adjustable on 2 pivots, they can be positioned even farther outboard, but I don’t find that I need that.

·
Registered
XSR700
43 Posts
I agree that with the bar end mirror I now have to look a bit further down from the line of sight - not ideal. But for me, the positioning of the bar end mirrors is superior to the stock mirrors. With the stock mirrors my shoulders would block much of what's directly behind me but the bar end mirrors eliminate most of that obstruction...for me. it's a bit of a zero sum trade off I guess but one that I don't mind too much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The direct line of sight is pretty bad with bar end mirrors since I switched, but they are far less distracting than the OEM mirror setup.

This coupled with the fact that I habitually turn my head in either direction before making a turn negates that fact.

·
Registered
Yamaha XSR 700 , 2018
84 Posts
The direct line of sight is pretty bad with bar end mirrors since I switched, but they are far less distracting than the OEM mirror setup.

This coupled with the fact that I habitually turn my head in either direction before making a turn negates that fact.
I got these bar end Highsider round mirrors that are great and the visibility is top. But since I got handguards I had to take them down and put original mirrors.
I really don't like the looks of the original mirrors and would like to clear the space in front but i can't find the alternative for handguards. I guess i will have to improvise

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got these bar end Highsider round mirrors that are great and the visibility is top. But since I got handguards I had to take them down and put original mirrors.
I really don't like the looks of the original mirrors and would like to clear the space in front but i can't find the alternative for handguards. I guess i will have to improvise View attachment 26603
Bar end setups are great for this because you get the obnoxious OEM setup out of the way. I don’t know why they thought that placement was actually good. I would always see half my body before I could see the cars, adjust them and I can’t see anything at all.

Though that’s tough on your hand guards getting in the way! I got the more rectangular over the circle mirrors and they take a lot of getting used to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can see out of the barend mirrors, I can’t see out of the factory mirrors, factory mirrors are heavy and in the way. If I have the factory mirrors, I have to turn my head around to peep if there is a car, with the bar ends, I just glance. It’s an all around win for me. I don’t stare non stop at the road in front of me, I’m constantly scanning. So no benefits to the cumbersome, heavy and unusable mirrors.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have to say you have good reason with the viewing, but "heavy"? If you're riding in such a fashion that the weight of your mirrors matter please go do track days and race. That's a lame reason. Plus you just put all the weight of the mirrors out away from the centerline of the bike emphasizing their weight when leaning.

See, I brought up a lame reason against the bar ends... 😄

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have to say you have good reason with the viewing, but "heavy"? If you're riding in such a fashion that the weight of your mirrors matter please go do track days and race. That's a lame reason. Plus you just put all the weight of the mirrors out away from the centerline of the bike emphasizing their weight when leaning.

See, I brought up a lame reason against the bar ends... 😄
Plus the factory mirrors definitely give better sight lines then the bar end mirrors. This argument makes no sense to me. The right mirror, unlike a car, should be giving you 75% of everything behind you and to the right side(this is speaking to riding on the right side of the road, US). The left mirror need only give you 25% of the rest behind you and to the left for passing.

I see 100% of everything behind me and to the sides with the factory mirrors and I do not need to throw my attention to one bar end or another.

If you like bar end mirrors and need to justify them to yourself, great, fine. But saying they give you better sight behind and around you, nope. If that's the case you need to adjust the oem more, and again, it's opposite what you may think. The secondary side mirror on a car is the primary side mirror on the bike that gobbles up the most scenery.

Lastly, you got bunch of people relocating their speedos and we know why, makes perfect sense, and then dumping the factory mirrors for bar end mirrors, and it doesn't take much to see the hypocrisy there.

With bikes we are constantly skating that line of what makes us safe and what looks or feels cool. Only an alien with a 3 foot wide head and eyeballs near our ear locations can say bar end mirrors truly work better for sight line and safety.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There’s always the, because I can, because I want to reason. I’ve always done what I want to do. It’s why I was able to retire in my 30’s, living off the interest in my bank account. It’s a motorcycle, the very act or throwing your leg over it involves risk. I say, enjoy what you have how you want to enjoy it. Screw conforming and screw other people trying to tell others how they should do something. Finding faults in someone else’s reasoning doesn’t justify your reasons. A motorcycle is much fashion as it is transportation and a toy. And as an object of fashion, it is subject to personal taste.

·
Registered
371 Posts
There’s always the, because I can, because I want to reason. I’ve always done what I want to do. It’s why I was able to retire in my 30’s, living off the interest in my bank account. It’s a motorcycle, the very act or throwing your leg over it involves risk. I say, enjoy what you have how you want to enjoy it. Screw conforming and screw other people trying to tell others how they should do something. Finding faults in someone else’s reasoning doesn’t justify your reasons. A motorcycle is much fashion as it is transportation and a toy. And as an object of fashion, it is subject to personal taste.
I agree with most of what you say. Facts are facts, the oem mirrors cover 100% of the scenery and don't require fixating your eyes to each bar end, and if you didn't see well with the oem mirrors then they weren't adjusted correctly. That's not finding fault in reasoning, it's just stating fact. Most people change to bar end mirrors because they definitely make the bike look nicer. But I'm gonna call out any talk that bar end mirrors work better than the oem, I feel that's an obligation being on this forum and a lot of new riders purchase this bike and shouldn't get sucked into a falsehood that diverts their attention during riding, unless they choose to change them out knowing the facts, that's everyone's choice, as you said.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with most of what you say. Facts are facts, the oem mirrors cover 100% of the scenery and don't require fixating your eyes to each bar end, and if you didn't see well with the oem mirrors then they weren't adjusted correctly. That's not finding fault in reasoning, it's just stating fact. Most people change to bar end mirrors because they definitely make the bike look nicer. But I'm gonna call out any talk that bar end mirrors work better than the oem, I feel that's an obligation being on this forum and a lot of new riders purchase this bike and shouldn't get sucked into a falsehood that diverts their attention during riding, unless they choose to change them out knowing the facts, that's everyone's choice, as you said.
Opinions not facts. Don’t be a Karen, just enjoy your bike and let others enjoy theirs. Your preference and reasons are yours. It’s a motorcycle, it’s dangerous. Bar end mirrors aren’t unsafe, they are a different choice. This discussion went from advantage and disadvantages of a part. To a bunch of preaching and do as I say or you are wrong drivel. And that is sad, not to mention boring, like oem mirrors.

·
Registered
598 Posts

I use your excuse there rather frequently - because I can. Solves any arguments of opinion.

My only reason why I don't run some kind of bar end is because I'd probably knock them off or break them when getting too close to something. Otherwise I would consider them.

Personally I like the old Nighthawk S mirrors which have a relatively large rectangular mirror and very slender stems that put the mirrors out to the side very nicely. The slender stems tend to separate the mirrors from the bike when looking at it, where the fatter stems don't.

Please don't take my "lame" comment at all serious, it wasn't really intended to be. I've come up with worse ones and as a teacher I've certainly heard worse. Your other reasoning was absolutely sufficient. First comment I've ever made on bar ends in my life, because it just seemed to jump out at me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts