XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have purchased the Oberon bar end mirrors, and I've tried to install them today.

I took off the bar ends, and there is a space of about 15mm from the end of each grip to the end of the bar. So when I tighten the mirror bracket, it doesn't grip the bar in the right place.

Has anyone else found this?

Did I order the wrong mirrors, or is there another part I need?

Is it easier to shift everything down the bars a bit?

Or am I just an idiot?

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, I have purchased the Oberon bar end mirrors, and I've tried to install them today.

I took off the bar ends, and there is a space of about 15mm from the end of each grip to the end of the bar. So when I tighten the mirror bracket, it doesn't grip the bar in the right place.

Or am I just an idiot?
I initially ordered the Oberon bar ends and hit the same snag so ended up sending them back. If you get in touch with them, they'll probably ask you for measurements and adapt the bar end for the xsr. I was just impatient and ended up buying Rizoma instead. They sorted out the bar ends for my old Tuono by reducing the size of the bolt so it fit in the space, they're a good company to deal with!:smile2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I have emailed them, but being Saturday, I'm not expecting a reply until next week.

They must have had this issue before, so I'll see what the outcome is, and update it here for future reference.

Do the Rizoma ones need an adapter, or are they special made to fit? I was looking at the Spy-R also, but went with Oberon, as a mate has them on his scrambler.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I went for the spy r mirrors and they sell aftermarket adaptors for most handlebars. They are screw in adaptors for the stock bars. Expensive mirrors but a quality purchase and they suit the bike well!

·
Registered
324 Posts
If Oberon doesn't have a fix for the bar end mirrors, I guess adapters are an option if you really like the mirrors. Those spy r mirrors are really nice BTW, suits the whole XSR theme.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those spy r mirrors are really nice BTW
They are nice, but they are a bit exy. £130 each, I believe.

So Oberon have been in touch and they are sending out a part that would work FOC, which is really good of them.

I'm taking the bike across the channel for a short trip to Bruges, so I should have the parts when I get back.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They are nice, but they are a bit exy. £130 each, I believe.

So Oberon have been in touch and they are sending out a part that would work FOC, which is really good of them.

I'm taking the bike across the channel for a short trip to Bruges, so I should have the parts when I get back.
Great news! Don't forget to post photos when they're fitted! :grin2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The parts that Oberon sent were their ref: MIR-0708.

It's basically and aluminium spacer, and longer screw.

These then went onto the bike no problem.

See pics below.

Much happier with the look of the bike now the antennas are gone, and I'm no longer looking at my arms in the mirrors.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Always liked those bar end mirrors but on a bike like this i'm thinking to go with something more angular. Thought of that after seeing someone do that already to another bike. Different approach, but good to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had some time with them on, and I feel that, as they are convex, I can see much more behind me than I could with the flat stock ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Or am I just an idiot?
Couple questions about these mirrors -- which size did you order? What is the bezel size? Also, did you have to cut off the grips to install the oberon mirrors? I had to cut the grips (and install new ones) on my DRZ400 when working with the grips previously.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered the 75mm ones. No cutting of the grips was necessary, they replace the existing bar ends essentially. Once I got the extra parts, installation is easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm new to the forum and I've only had the bike for a couple of weeks, so I have a bunch of dumb questions.

What kind of bar end mirrors should I use? Can I use clamp-ons over the original bar ends or should I have the bar ends fully replaced? Also, should I use an 8mm allen wrench to remove the original bar ends? I tried searching for a wrench to fit the inner hole of the bar ends, but a bit of googling told me that the proper size on a Yamaha FZ-09 would be 8mm, meaning the outer or bigger hole is the actual size. Is it the same with the XSR700?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not a fan of that "angled look", I was actually thinking about getting the LSL Clubman bar end mirrors.
I'm just a little unsure if I can use them with the original bar ends or not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts