XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've bought some cheap bar end mirrors to see if I like how they look on my xsr, but when I'm trying to fit them I can't work out how the fixings work? The inside of the handlebars is threaded about 2-3cm inside of the bars for the original bar end mirrors to screw into, but that threaded part stops the new mirror fixings going into the bars?

Does anyone have experience using the below style of expanding fixings and can shed some light on how they work? I have the expanding screws as well as a couple of different size rubber inserts as per the picture.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same problem, it seems that aftermarket bar ends don't fit into yamaha handlebars. I think rizoma has adapters, but i'm not sure about that. Now i mounted the mirrors on the original bar ends, the manufacturer sent me suitable rubber inserts after i explained him my problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like you might have the wrong size insert for the size of the handlebar - Really sorry but top of my head I can't remember what the size is, you'll have to check or look for compatible one online to find out. They should slide in, add a little tension to start opening up the grip and when it's enough that there's a little friction it should grip on it's own as you tighten up. Just make sure to leave a decent gap - I left one but didn't notice that when I tightened up the mirror arm had tilted towards the throttle so it was sticking ever so slightly, caught me off guard when I wasn't decellerating as fast as I was used to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why not just buy a bolt that has the right thread size and lenght and use that instead of the expansion??
Is my thinking incorrect??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So just to update this. I managed to get the mirrors fitted with the fixings in the photo, by removing one of the sleeves on the expanding bolts. I had the same problem as Woody though in that the throttle wasn't closing properly when letting off. I tried to remove the fixing from the handlebars to move the mirrors a bit further out and the fixing was properly stuck in the bars and wouldn't come out! I ended up having to use a screwdriver like a chisel to smash the fixing out of the bars, and luckily didn't damage the threads in the bars.

I ended up ordering the below Rizoma adaptors from Moore Speed Racing (in the UK) which just screw into the bars and the mirrors then screw into the adaptor... a million times easier!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've bought some cheap bar end mirrors to see if I like how they look on my xsr, but when I'm trying to fit them I can't work out how the fixings work? The inside of the handlebars is threaded about 2-3cm inside of the bars for the original bar end mirrors to screw into, but that threaded part stops the new mirror fixings going into the bars?

Does anyone have experience using the below style of expanding fixings and can shed some light on how they work? I have the expanding screws as well as a couple of different size rubber inserts as per the picture.

Thanks in advance!
I have bought the same mirrors and am having issues too. I can't work out (excuse me, am a newbie!) what size Allen key I need to remove the bar end as none of mine fit. How did you do it?
I was going to try using the clamp attachment instead but the washers are either too big or too small. Really annoyed as this should be a quick job!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I bought Kemimoto rounds of Amazon. They fit great, but I also have Protaper Carmichael bars on my bike.

Full install vid here:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts