XSR 700 Forums banner

If the 689cc version of the XSR700 was available in Australia, would you buy one?

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am jealous of the US owners who get 689cc and 78hp. In Australia we get a 645cc version with a disappointing 51hp. Can't help wondering how good the real bike (as it's engineers designed it) must be. Anyone wanna ship some out to Australia. I'll buy the first one.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Cycle World dyno testing showed only 68 hp :sneaky:... but I will say even the 51 hp 645cc version would be great. (y)

For me it was less about horsepower and more about how it worked, felt, and looked. I'd have taken a serious look at a 500 version if the price reflected the drop in displacement. Horsepower is great, but on a lot of our roads in the eastern U.S. handling is more important for the back highways and byways. Thousands of miles of twisty roads with short straights. Ideal for light agile motorcycles. The fabled Deal's Gap (tail of the dragon) has many very near rival roads up and down the Appalachian Mountains and foot hills. Of course a lot of the mid-west states have long plain roads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cycle World dyno testing showed only 68 hp :sneaky:... but I will say even the 51 hp 645cc version would be great. (y)

For me it was less about horsepower and more about how it worked, felt, and looked. I'd have taken a serious look at a 500 version if the price reflected the drop in displacement. Horsepower is great, but on a lot of our roads in the eastern U.S. handling is more important for the back highways and byways. Thousands of miles of twisty roads with short straights. Ideal for light agile motorcycles. The fabled Deal's Gap (tail of the dragon) has many very near rival roads up and down the Appalachian Mountains and foot hills. Of course a lot of the mid-west states have long plain roads.
I currently own both an '18 XSR700 and a '15 FJ-09. Living in northern Alabama, the XSR is the bike for all the twisty county roads through the Appalachian foothills where maneuverability is needed more that speed. But when hitting the concrete slabs the FJ-09 with its 847cc triple is king.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am jealous of the US owners who get 689cc and 78hp. In Australia we get a 645cc version with a disappointing 51hp. Can't help wondering how good the real bike (as it's engineers designed it) must be. Anyone wanna ship some out to Australia. I'll buy the first one.
Hey, man. Thanks for your reply. Those Appalachian Mt byways sound amazing! 61hp, wow...is that your bike (any mods) or is that what others are also getting from the US engine? I hear what you are saying, handling is great, as is torque. And of course, the bike looks great. I was looking at the XSR900 and went for the 700; looks was big part of it. I'm 107kgs and the extra horses would be nice for overtakes . My last bike was a SV650. While the XSR700 has a lot over the Suzuki, I miss the extra horses at higher speed and slightly more forward riding position. Thanks again n stay safe, mate!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently own both an '18 XSR700 and a '15 FJ-09. Living in northern Alabama, the XSR is the bike for all the twisty county roads through the Appalachian foothills where maneuverability is needed more that speed. But when hitting the concrete slabs the FJ-09 with its 847cc triple is king.
Nice, man. Maybe that's the answer...I just get the XSR900 as well. Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're just at the start of a 6 week C-19 lockdown here, so I won't be doing any twisties any time soon. Looking forward to get out again - through Flowerdale and onto Yea (country Victoria, AUS).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey mate
I'm in Melbourne with a LAMS model as well. If you're really after some more power there's some work you can do to go over 60hp.
I've de restricted the throttle, changed the exhaust to SC Projects Conic, changed to SC Projects Air Filter and added an Air Fuel Mixer. Flashed the ECU and found myself with a bit more boogie, it was already quick, but it's levelled the power out.
There's work you can do like open the intake, get a stage 2 dyno tune and I've heard of people reach +64hp, but do you need to stress the engine? I find it's already a lot of fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey man, thanks for your comments. SC comics looks amazing, black even better on this bike. So, I am considering those mods, but want to get a feel for the bike first. Can I ask:
- Can you feel the extra HP?
- Does the bike run as smooth?
- How loud is the conic at 100km/h?

All the YouTube video sound tests are at idle, which sound great. I wonder weather it will be annoying on longer trips. I dunno, the bike is really growing on me. I may change the bars to get a little lower. Upright riding position is giving me coxxis pain on country runs.

Other than that, I think I'm in love. Don't tell my missus. Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey man, thanks for your comments. SC comics looks amazing, black even better on this bike. So, I am considering those mods, but want to get a feel for the bike first. Can I ask:
  • Can you feel the extra HP?
  • Does the bike run as smooth?
  • How loud is the conic at 100km/h?
All the YouTube video sound tests are at idle, which sound great. I wonder weather it will be annoying on longer trips. I dunno, the bike is really growing on me. I may change the bars to get a little lower. Upright riding position is giving me coxxis pain on country runs.

Other than that, I think I'm in love. Don't tell my missus. Cheers.
Hey
  • With the exhaust you loose a little bit of that initial kick, but it spreads the power out across the rpm bandwidth a little better.
  • Definitely still smooth, the Conic doesn't have it "rumbling" like a Harley, the spacer helps reduce the shake
  • You'd think it would sound really loud, but actually it's great. At 100km's it's inoffensive. (Also, helps when weaving through traffic)
I've lowered the handle bar as well (changes the feel significantly), had to change the levers because I dropped it 😅but I was going to change the colour anyway.
DM me. We can share stories if you're in Melb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts