XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to move my bars slightly back and up to get them closer and enable me to run a different bend. I've seen a regular 30mm riser, but I've also wondered about some that are both a riser and has an offset to the back. Problem is they show up for everything but the XSR700. I've found them for the Honda Africa Twin and also for the MT-09.

Anyone have any information? What did you use or did you find the AT or MT set will work?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would like to move my bars slightly back and up to get them closer and enable me to run a different bend. I've seen a regular 30mm riser, but I've also wondered about some that are both a riser and has an offset to the back. Problem is they show up for everything but the XSR700. I've found them for the Honda Africa Twin and also for the MT-09.

Anyone have any information? What did you use or did you find the AT or MT set will work?
I've used this one for more than a year and it worked fine.

It's not available right now but I think it's this exact other

The only issue was that the bolts quality was a bit low.

·
Registered
21 Posts
there wouldn't be clearance for "bar-backs" due to the angle of the bar mount
risers in this case act as both rising, and moving the bars further back

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually was kind of curious about the clearance, because I'd kind of want the bars back, but not higher. I think I will play the safe bet and do the correct set. I am thinking about putting on a set of flat track bars and they have less pull back with less rise. From what I see the largest in dimension is 30mm, about 2-1/4 inches.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I actually was kind of curious about the clearance, because I'd kind of want the bars back, but not higher. I think I will play the safe bet and do the correct set. I am thinking about putting on a set of flat track bars and they have less pull back with less rise. From what I see the largest in dimension is 30mm, about 2-1/4 inches.
30 mm is 1.18 in. approx. not 2 1/4

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad math on my part. For some reason I was thinking 25.4 mm equaled two inches... no clue why, I do metric conversions all the time. Duh!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used this one for more than a year and it worked fine.

It's not available right now but I think it's this exact other

The only issue was that the bolts quality was a bit low.
So, I am wondering ... if you use a riser that moves the bars up and back, where does that put the big, round instrument cluster on the XSR700? Moving the bar up and back should move the instrument cluster back, which will restrict the use of the gas tank fill opening. I have been mulling this problem over for some time and have come to the conclusion that I will need new bars, probably like mini ape bars, in order to bring the reach up and back, so I can sit up straight and stop straining my neck. I need the instrument cluster to stay where it is, not crowd the gas tank opening. So, the bars themselves must sweep back farther than the stock bars. I figure I can use some shims to make an untapered bar fit in the D clamp. Problem is ... I can't find any such bars. Anybody?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the gauge relocation kit that offsets it to the right, and up where it is in view at a glance. I found I had to move my head down a bit to view it... taking eyes off the road for a bit longer than a glance requires. Plus I like the look better, after the fact. So doing the bar risers works fine. Actually should make it easier to deal with the ignition key.

I got the risers listed for the XSR700 in ebay. They came from a Turkish vendor, showed up in a couple days. One thing, I had to drill the riser holes out, they were out of position by maybe .010" or so. I drilled with a 23/64" drill. I also had to run a die over a couple of the bolts to clean up the nicks that happen in mass produced bolts. (I have the same issue sometimes with the bolds for my tensioner, they get dinged when dumped in bins during production.) Then it all went together smoothly. It also came with a bracket to remount the instrument, which I used with my offseet mount.

I recommend it highly, because it works with said minor alterations.

If you want to use shims to fit standard bars, you can get 1-1/8 to 7/8 shims from Amazon. They do them for motorcycles and bicycles. Metric is 28 to 22 shims. I used them on my mountain bike.

Other option would be if there are higher rise MX fat bars.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So, I am wondering ... if you use a riser that moves the bars up and back, where does that put the big, round instrument cluster on the XSR700?
As KLX678 wisely pointed, you need a gauge relocation kit. Either kedo, gilles or whichever other (I built my own). I haven't tried using the OEM plastic bracket along with the risers, but I feel they don't match.

I also looked for mini ape-hungers but nothing was nice enough to my eye. OTH, the risers I got were just bolt'n'play. No drilling nor filing whatsoever. Easy peasy.
Now I don't use them anymore because my lower back disk hernia appreciates a more leaned forward riding position.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the Brogue kit - click here - because they had a nice machined alloy cup to cover the back. Looks kinda old school flat track when they used to run a tach on the XR750s. Rev limiters kind of made them unneeded. Now they just run 'em into the rev limiter just before hitting the corners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts