XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm thinking of having fitted either an Alarm to upgrade the immobiliser; or a Tracker.

What do people recommend and then what product/service would you recommend too?

Cheers.
Nick

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hello

I'm thinking of having fitted either an Alarm to upgrade the immobiliser; or a Tracker.

What do people recommend and then what product/service would you recommend too?

Cheers.
Nick
Hi Nick,

I'm going to float this product as I've not seen it discussed much, but I've been using it for the past year or so and am generally pretty happy with it:

http://en.rf-gsm.com/products/RF_V1...ar_GPS_Tracking_System_motor_tracker_590.html

Having previously used a separate alarm and GPS tracker, it's nice to have an integrated unit that uses a key-fob remote for arming, rather than just the usual SMS commands.
(The alarm and tracker are discrete units but the remote activates both functions simultaneously.)

The alarm/tracker is the usual type that takes a SIM card and sends an alert when detecting movement. It can then be sent commands to obtain position or be tracked live etc.

It's not perfect though; the mobile app for it is flaky (not a big deal, as you don't need to use it) and the tracker stand-by time is short (a day or two at most, if the bike is not used. This can be remedied though by connecting it to a cheap portable power bank if you know the bike will sit for a while).

HTH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Along with an alarm and GPS locator, it is important to have something like SmartWater and DataDot to mark the various parts of your bike.

That way, if you can't get it back before it gets chopped up, you can still get the bike back (in a manner of speaking).

Also, you can get your bike back if they have just wrapped it changed the color, or done something else to prevent law enforcement from identifying it as yours once they recover it.

Just document how you marked your bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Nick,

I'm going to float this product as I've not seen it discussed much, but I've been using it for the past year or so and am generally pretty happy with it:

http://en.rf-gsm.com/products/RF_V1...ar_GPS_Tracking_System_motor_tracker_590.html

Having previously used a separate alarm and GPS tracker, it's nice to have an integrated unit that uses a key-fob remote for arming, rather than just the usual SMS commands.
(The alarm and tracker are discrete units but the remote activates both functions simultaneously.)

The alarm/tracker is the usual type that takes a SIM card and sends an alert when detecting movement. It can then be sent commands to obtain position or be tracked live etc.

It's not perfect though; the mobile app for it is flaky (not a big deal, as you don't need to use it) and the tracker stand-by time is short (a day or two at most, if the bike is not used. This can be remedied though by connecting it to a cheap portable power bank if you know the bike will sit for a while).

HTH
Hi, where did you get it from? price? when you say stand-by is short, do you mean it flats the battery? does it support 3g?

Thanks, Luis

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi, where did you get it from? price? when you say stand-by is short, do you mean it flats the battery? does it support 3g?

Thanks, Luis
I purchased it from ebay last July, although it seems that they're no longer available there. Perhaps try Aliexpress?
I recall that you could purchase them direct from the manufacturer as well, for about the same price (the minimum order was 100 units but they would sell you one as a sample/trial).

On the SH125i it was previously fitted to, it would run the Scooter's battery flat if the machine was left standing for a week or two.
However, the XSR700 doesn't seem to supply it with any power when the bike's not running, so the GPS module's internal rechargeable battery runs down in a couple of days.
(The Alarm module still functions as normal though and I haven't left the XSR700 sitting for long enough yet to know if the battery will be run down by it.)
I alleviate this by connecting it to a compact power bank, which I can easily remove and recharge every week. (It should last around 2 weeks but I have yet to test this.)
Bear in mind, I'm only doing about 15km a day on my XSR700 at the moment so a more heavily used machine may not have an issue with keeping the unit charged.

I'm using it with a 3 year old SIM, which I would assume is 3G but can't confirm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts