XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the awful looking front fender. I've looked at the SWMotech and the Rizoma one. However, I would like to see some pics of the ones you guys have installed. If you have a pic of one of these on your bike, could you post it up? Also, if you have used other ones could you do the same? Thanks guys
B

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the SW Motech on my bike. Can't really say it's and upgrade, just something different. I wanted to get a shorter fender that matched my rear after I put a Yoshimura FE on. The color is not OEM to the bike or the Motech. I painted both fenders a different silver and added a stripe. Quality of the fender is great and the bracket it under the fender instead of over it like the OEM is. It's probably less effective keeping splash off the engine but looks better in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
the awful looking front fender
The front fender is one of the first thing I changed because I found it too much big and really ugly. I decided to buy the S2 concept one which I really love.
I bought it raw and got it painted black with yellow stripes as you can see.

Here is a picture

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Don, I really like the look of that one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
does anybody know what kind of fender will work best for sticky situations like this?

I am not looking for style, but function
I think the best thing wouldn't be to change the fender but to make the space between it and the wheel a little bit higher like real scramblers.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Riding in sticky conditions was the big discussion during my enduro days. On one hand loving the low fender rally design, but this will lead into a stuck wheel and the blocking as reporting.

High-up will be the solution. Either there are the typical four threaded holes under the triple clamp to mount the fender, maybe a Super Moto fender from the usual plastic manufacturers? Or try to create a new bracket for the original fender.

My suggestion for the thread opener:

This is the XSR fender, just shortened and painted. I used the cut off pieces as a stencil to achieve the radius of the original fender. Advantages are, very cheap solution compared to the money robbing offers of the aftermarket manufacturers, and it fits properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hombacher,
That looks stellar! I think I'm going to give your option a shot. I sent you a pm with a few questions.
B

·
Registered
366 Posts
I did the exact same thing using the same method as you did so the end contours were correct. Then after I was done, I thought it was a bit too short so I bought the SW Motech which ended up being just about the length I thought was correct. I still have the original just in case I need a replacement. It's a bugger to cut the original if you end up doing what I did because I believe a new fender also comes with the bracket and that's what makes them so darned expensive. When you get right down to it, the original is just about right when it comes to keeping the road crud off the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the ones that cut up the original... about how much would you say you cut off, or should have cut, for the perfect size?

·
Registered
216 Posts
For the ones that cut up the original... about how much would you say you cut off, or should have cut, for the perfect size?

...perfect size, I think a topic to discuss with no result.

The advantage of self cutting is, you will have the choice. Take a beer or a coffee, sit beside your bike and cut down the fender in your imagination. If you do not touch the original width of the fender, the rain and spray protection is quite good.
Okay, your engine and radiator gets dirty...

·
Registered
21 Posts
...perfect size, I think a topic to discuss with no result.

The advantage of self cutting is, you will have the choice. Take a beer or a coffee, sit beside your bike and cut down the fender in your imagination. If you do not touch the original width of the fender, the rain and spray protection is quite good.
Okay, your engine and radiator gets dirty...

Fair enough, I suppose "perfect" was the wrong choice of a word. I was more interested in what lengths people were happy with when they cut their fenders. It may give a good idea. I'll probably also check the dimensions of some of the brands out there on the market. I'll likely end up like you said though, with a beer, just sitting by the bike and brainstorming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The front fender is one of the first thing I changed because I found it too much big and really ugly. I decided to buy the S2 concept one which I really love.
I bought it raw and got it painted black with yellow stripes as you can see.

Here is a picture

Hey not to hijack the thread, but what seat are you using?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So im thinking of cutting the original down instead of splashing 130p on a SW motech one, any good guides on how to do it? Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts