XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pretty sure the cat is the same for both the dual and under slug so should be before muffler just after the lambda sensor. Where did you get the dual from?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer fitted it to display in the showroom, guess they couldn't be bothered to remove it so sold it as is!! So if I remove that will the bike run OK without?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealer fitted it to display in the showroom, guess they couldn't be bothered to remove it so sold it as is!! So if I remove that will the bike run OK without?
Any mods that you make, like changing the exhaust, that leave the O2 (lambda) sensor in place upstream of the mod will not impact the way the bike runs in closed loop- which is to say the information the ECU gets from the O2 sensor will still govern the amount of fuel injected in the programming of the ECU to run as lean as possible without having detonation occur. All else being equal there won't be any problem at all. That said, the cat has a respectable job to do which is to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. I advocate keeping them in place whenever possible- but in some cases it just isn't. I have a Triumph Scrambler 1200 and the location of the catalytic converter was chosen with northern Europe in mind. In most other places it gets so hot it really affects the rider's experience. I removed mine and replaced it with the extremely popular "decat" kit that has a spectacular impact on the amount of heat radiated from a section of exhaust Triumph decided needed to be located on the inside of your right leg. The O2 sensor on that bike is located just out of the cylinder head on the header pipe, so again no impact from removing the catalytic converter. Incidentally, another popular mod on that bike is the "booster plug" which fools the ECU into reading the intake air temperature as 20 degrees cooler than it actually is. Since cooler air is denser, thus containing more oxygen, the ECU responds to this bit of subterfuge by enriching the mixture in open loop mode. The effect of that is a lower incidence of cold stalling, rough idle, and stumbling that leaner mixtures designed to comply with emissions standards can provide. Oh, and more greenhouse emissions. So- stall in the middle of an intersection or save the planet? I'd kind of like to avoid choice "A" entirely and still be on board with "B".

One of the really rewarding benefits of owning a Yamaha motorcycle is how much better they are at this than the Brits, Italians, and Germans. I really don't know why, but their stuff just works better. Although it merits mention that as far as I know- my XSR700 was actually built in France?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi, does anyone know how to remove the cat from the Acrapovic Dual exhaust? Does it give the bike a better sound?
If you mean louder when you say sound: No not really.

Yes, ok. You will smell like directly coming from the 70s. If you like solo riding, it is more than okay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts