XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post here

Today out on an hour long ride about 3/4 of the way through I noticed the ABS light had come on, only doing 30 in a residential street so I pulled over. As soon as I came to a stop the engine cut out and the bike turned itself off and “rebooted” - the dash went off and then came back on with the usual start up lights showing, as if the key had just been turned on. I was then able to start the engine again with the starter. After that everything went back to normal.

Really odd, could it just be the ABS system needed a reset? I’m a little worried it could be a symptom of a problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'd say it's definitely a problem with the ABS somewhere. Did any error codes come up? If it happens again, I'd have it checked out for sure. If it doesn't happen again I wouldn't be too worried. It could be crud building up on the sensors if you've been riding in wet and muddy areas.

·
Registered
232 Posts
More interesting, the story before that story you told us. Did you change anything, did you swap the battery, wheels or others?

Nevertheless, the suggestions from a forum will not compensate your visit at a Yamaha dealer. Things what you may check before are those last things what you have done to your XSR. Check the battery voltage and if the clamps are tightly screwed.
An event when the ABS light may come up is a voltage drop or too low voltage, when starting up/ignition on. Voltage drop means loose clamps at the battery.
Other events are defect sensor or sensor gap towards the ABS ring. Your dealer shall read the error codes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When you came to a stop, were you in gear and flipped down the side stand. The side stand has a kill switch if the bike is in gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies.

To answer questions-
  • No error codes came up.
  • I haven’t changed anything on the bike, I can’t speak for the previous owners though.
  • I was in gear with the clutch in when I stopped. The stand was up.
I am going to check the battery connections and do a visual check of the ABS sensors and rings.

I’ll give an update here if it happens again, hopefully it doesn’t!

Thanks again all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts