·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there's 3 fuses for the ABS system;

7. ABS solenoid fuse
8. ABS motor fuse
11. ABS control unit fuse

i'd like to try riding without the ABS,do i have to pull all of the above fuses?

or just the 'control unit fuse'?

cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pulled all the ABS fuses and now i've got the brakes i want
more power and feel,especially the back brake
and of course no ABS kicking in when you dont want it to

the speedo and trip meters didn't work tho'
so i only put the ABS control fuse back in and all good now
no ABS and the speedo's working again

job done...

·
Super Moderator
764 Posts
I have to agree with Neil......disabling the ABS on a road bike seems like a very bad idea. Your insurance would also be invalidated in the event of an accident, assuming you survived to make a claim!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have to agree with Neil......disabling the ABS on a road bike seems like a very bad idea. Your insurance would also be invalidated in the event of an accident, assuming you survived to make a claim!
Not to mention for gravel and dirt, spinning out the back wheel in second is enough to disengage the ABS until next time you power up. Happens to me often just going over washboard dirt. Leave your fuses in!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the Yam's my first road bike for 45 years and i'm loving it,however i've been riding dirtbikes for the last 16 years,no ABS of course. i was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on ABS for the road? you guys obviously have a lot more road riding experience than me. cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not to mention for gravel and dirt, spinning out the back wheel in second is enough to disengage the ABS until next time you power up. Happens to me often just going over washboard dirt. Leave your fuses in!
Wait, by power up do you mean roll hard on the throttle or actually power cycle the bike by turning the key off and on again? I've been riding in the dirt and when going downhill and trailbraking the ABS parts under my right knee was screaming, and the brakes wouldn't lock up when I tried to make them. I was in first for quite a bit of this. If a simple dirt burnout in 2nd will shut off rear ABS for the rest of the ride that is a fantastic feature.

I notice front ABS tends to be enabled even on modern adv bikes in their dirt modes, are you just supposed to brake above the threshold where ABS would kick in and use plenty of engine braking? That ABS stuff on the right side got reallllllly hot during all that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I rarely ride the dirt roads so my experience is very limited there but on the "street" ABS may just save your butt and if dirt is your preferred agenda, maybe the XSR isn't the best choice for you, especially if you feel the need to disable it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I specifically bought this bike for the ABS, I crashed my cruiser a couple years ago when some kid looked through me and pulled out. I only want to be able to toggle it off when I've gotten to the end of the pavement and it's time to slide around the desert. I believe the XSR900 has some options to temp turn it off, I know the Tenere does by holding an ABS button while you reboot. I am thinking maybe wiring a switch between the ABS controller and the fuse would give me that sort of functionality. I don't mind stopping to turn off the engine and flick a hidden switch, then doing it again when going back onto pavement, but reaching the fuse box is a bit more of a hassle. I definitely want to leave the ABS on otherwise.

Tenere doesn't come here for a couple years and the XSR looks better, but I'm jelly already of the different tune options on the Tenere. A scrambler XSR build will involve some hack.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wait, by power up do you mean roll hard on the throttle or actually power cycle the bike by turning the key off and on again? I've been riding in the dirt and when going downhill and trailbraking the ABS parts under my right knee was screaming, and the brakes wouldn't lock up when I tried to make them. I was in first for quite a bit of this. If a simple dirt burnout in 2nd will shut off rear ABS for the rest of the ride that is a fantastic feature.

I notice front ABS tends to be enabled even on modern adv bikes in their dirt modes, are you just supposed to brake above the threshold where ABS would kick in and use plenty of engine braking? That ABS stuff on the right side got reallllllly hot during all that.
Burnout in 2nd will do it. ABS light comes on and you're golden. You will have to restart the bike to turn it back on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bump and hi all. I’m juggling between few light dirt/offroad capable bikes and while XSR700 being one of them (at least in my books) disabling ABS confuses me. There’s no mention of it in manual and all the information I have found tells me to unplug the fuse or build a separate switch to do it. Will it really swith off by burnout? It sounds really clever way to do it but same time I’m a bit suspicious as manual doesn’t mention anything about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts