XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
From what I've read, make sure your tank panels are very clean, and hit them with some alcohol to remove any oils/grease that might be on there from hands etc. This will help ensure they stick appropriately.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Any advice on installation? Or do I just slap 'em on?
Degrease tank with brake cleaner or the like, warm up tank and pads with heatgun or hairdryer on high, slap em on and clamp them however you can

then, after doing all that, when they fall off in a few months, scrape off the yamaha muck and use this stuff to repeat the process all over again, hopefully permanently :grin2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah these are awesome but bloody hard to stick, you have to bake em.

fell off heaps of times before i tried this. they are too rigid and peel themselves off eventually.

They havent fallen off since i heated them in the oven for few minutes before whacken em on there

Oven on low for a few minutes til they are a bit floppier, make sure you watch them.

warm the tank up with hair drier or something if you can, place them and then squeeze with the knees

I accidentally left one in oven too long and it melted a bit, curled up! oops! but was soft enough to kind of fix and looks fine.

Had taken the paper off before oven, glue might stick to paper if heated.

Of course you have to clean tank with alcohol or something first.

I tried with just a heat gun to warm them and the tank up but it didnt stick for more than a week.

the glue gets covered in crap when they fall off, use sticky tape if you need to clean the glue!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed the tank pads this past weekend. Gave the tank a good cleaning and heated up the sticky side of the pads with a heat gun. Warmed up the tank panels a bit with the heat gun as well before placing the pads. Hopefully they stay in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I installed the tank pads this past weekend. Gave the tank a good cleaning and heated up the sticky side of the pads with a heat gun. Warmed up the tank panels a bit with the heat gun as well before placing the pads. Hopefully they stay in place.
Wow. Those look awesome. I had never even considered these as a mod I was interested in until I saw this picture. My bike is the same silver/grey. It really looks fantastic with the pads.

I hope they stay attached!

·
Registered
312 Posts
They look great, but I got some, heated, alcohol, pressure for an hour, even taped them on overnight. Came out the next morning and they both were on the garage floor. The crap on the floor stuck tight to them, tho. Tossed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts