XSR 700 Forums banner

700 vs. 900

65K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  zupatum 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

When I heard that the XSR700 was coming stateside, I was pretty excited as I've followed it and read reviews since it was released in Europe and it looks and sounds like exactly what I want to replace my "starter" bike (2000 Vulcan 500). However, I've been visiting a few dealerships nearby asking when they expect them to get in, how much they'll be, setc. In the process, I've found that some of the new XSR900s around here have been heavily discounted. There are multiple dealerships with XSR900s around $8000 while the US MSRP on the XSR700 is around $8500. Even if it is discounted, it's not likely to be too much below the 900.

So my question to forum members is, if you could get the XSR700 or XSR900 for roughly the same price, which would you get? At first, this sounds like it should be obvious. However, I'm not looking for speed, but more for a commuter (20 miles each way) and around town bike with maybe day trips occasionally on the weekends. It looks like the 900 has better suspensions, traction control, and other niceties, but some reviews have indicated that the bike almost has too much power and wants to go fast. For instance the article on cycleworld "yamaha xsr900 is great but it isn't the bike you want"

If there are forum members that have ridden both or can give guidance on the decision I'd welcome any thoughts. Can't wait to join the ranks of XSR owners soon! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
If it were me and for resale alone id go 900..... the 700 is a great bike tho and i have no inclination to change to the bigger brother.....i have also read its alot of bike to handle with its rider modes etc. Take 1 for a spin and you decide but i reckon ull feel a marked difference in power and manorisms being a triple!!!!!!

#3 ·
I prefer the looks of the 900 vs the non-anniversary 700, but the engine on the 700 is much more sensible for 99% of 99% of the time I'm on the bike. The 900 does almost have too much power and I know that you can open the throttle less, but what's the point in having more if you don't use it? As a commuter bike I'd almost say the 700 has too much, but then the extra power is good for weekend fun :grin2:

#5 ·
Hello cabird and welcome! Your dilemma is likely to be shared by many others if the two XSRs are similarly priced in the USA. Expect some bias here......the 700 is lighter but still has plenty of power and usable torque. The 900 has more of both, but do you need them? As a triple, the 900 combines the good torque of a twin with the smoothness of an inline four, but you could say it lacks the character of a 'proper' twin or the smooth power of a 'proper' four! I've ridden both - the 900 was an absolute 'hoot' in terms of acceleration but the 700 was more enjoyable in the everyday sense. If I were still commuting, I would go for the 700 without hesitation. I would echo the advice above and try them both if you can - and let us know which way you go.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. I realized I've asked a biased crowd, but it sounds like it's not a situation where the more expensive (at least MSRP) is clearly the superior choice. I'll definitely give both a test ride before I pull the trigger, but I'm definitely leaning towards the 700. I'm coming from an old ~40 HP, 500cc carbureted bike and even that does close to what I'd like in terms of acceleration and speed, so the 700 should be quite a step up from that.

Now when are those bikes going to show up stateside!?

Chris

#10 · (Edited)
the xsr700 is a bike you can potter about on, riding below 5k rpm with small throttle openings, even cruising at 70mph, and feel really chilled and cool on it.

then you decide to gun it, stretch it out a bit at full throttle and using most of the revs, and all of a sudden you remember it's actually quite a rapid bike, and the front end barely has any weight! :D

The thing that swung it for me, was a journo comment on the 900:
That motor screams “I want to go 90!” while the riding position says, “can we please keep it around 60?”

#11 ·
I traded my XJR1300 racer for the xsr700 and i have not regretted it once!
The 700 is nimble and quick and very easy to drive.
And i am completely in love with the engine.
Have driven the MT09 and i was not impressed at all.
You have 3 diffrent drive mod and one is useless.
The Normal mode is completely worthless and undriveble.

#12 ·
Well, I did as folks suggested and test drove both bikes. In my view, it was an easy choice. The 700 pulls across the whole powerband and easily has enough power for what I will use it for (and doesn't seem to have as active an online community as the 700). I picked it up late last week and couldn't be happier. Thanks for the suggestions. A neighbor of mine saw the new bike was shocked I paid more money for a smaller engine. There's more to a bike than HP...

#16 ·
I went with the silver, but I'm considering getting the tank wrapped at some point... Couldn't be happier with the purchase! Good luck picking yours up!

Also, just as an FYI, 2wheeldynoworks is local in kirkland and does ECU flashes for the FZ07 so I figure they should be able to do the same for the XSR700. No need to mail away your ECU like most folks do. Waiting until after the engine break in period to get it done so I can push the engine before and after the flash to see if it's noticeable.

Post pics once you get yours.

Chris

Attachments

#18 ·
Yeah buddy!

A man of good taste I see! Your bike looks legit! I also liked the silver, so much so that I ordered it this weekend!

I'm having a Yoshimura R77 exhaust installed on it while they assemble it. I had the ECU flashed on my FZ07 and it was a night and day difference! I was planning on flashing my FJ09 but since I traded it in I'm just going to dyno/flash the XSR. I already had it scheduled for mid-June so I'll be doing it quickly.

I'll definitely let you know how it goes and if I notice a difference (especially one worth $350!). 2wheeldynoworks said they haven't had an XSR700 in there yet so it'll be interesting to see how it goes! You'll definitely have to keep us updated on the wrap of the tank if you do it, it's a brilliant idea!

Let's go for a ride soon! I'm just over Tiger Mountain in Maple Valley!

#20 ·
The tank cut outs on 900 do not suit riders over 6' tall with long legs the 700 is much better in this respect.
My choice between 700/900 was made even easier by the fact I had just put 4 thousand miles on a 2017 MT 09tracer.... so it as a brilliant engine that can overtake most other road users when in top gear and it makes that brilliant triple sound.
Prior to the Tracer I put 8 thousand miles on a versys 650.... I was quicker on the versys then I was on the tracer.
Matters came to a head on a two mile trip around Scotland I couldn't get the bike around corners and after 40 miles / 15 minutes I was extremely uncomfortable even with Yamaha comfort seats fitted.
I hated the bike more every mile that passed and it was sold within a week.
My xsr700 is a joy to ride you need to plan a overtake and be in the right gear but isn't that what motorcycling is all about?
Think original poster dodged a bullet giving the 900 a miss.
My decision was not financial price to change was the same for both bikes.
Xsr700 is in a group of bikes which goes all the way back to the British /Japanese twins of the 60s/ 70's it does not need / want a 115 bhp triple motor.

#23 ·
I'm on the eastside too (Redmond). If you haven't already bought one, I'd be happy to let you take a look at it. But honestly, any dealer around here will let you take it on a test ride . That's what I did and that's the best way to make a decision. I *LOVE* mine, but don't get as much opportunity to ride it as I'd like with little kiddos at home. Not once have I wished I'd gotten the 900. I've moved the speedo forward (this is an absolute must in my view, otherwise you're constantly looking down and then back up while riding) and also added the evotech tail tidy and replaced the front and rear blinkers. I don't do much freeway riding, but when I do, it reminds me that I need to get a windscreen. The wind buffeting at 75 is a bit rough.

#24 · (Edited)
I live in northern Thailand. Before I moved here from the bottom of Portugal [I'm English'], I was riding a Suzuki B-King and Yamaha MT-01, two very different bikes, and a Buell Ulysses.

My choice in Thailand is between the two XSRs, but it will be the 700 I go for. Simplicity; none of that driving modes rubbish, better lines to the bike, 10 kg lighter, better economy from the same size tank, important with only 14 litres at your disposal. I have a photo of a green XSR700 on my laptop, but I'll probably buy the silver.

Regards from a new member.

#25 ·
The dealer where I bought my 700 had a 900 right next to it, discounted to the same price. It was a simple decision for me: the 900 was too big. I sat on them both (they don't allow test rides) and the 900 was just a whole lot bigger than I needed. My own riding experience since has shown that the 700 already has more than enough power for me - almost too much already (I was upgrading from an SR400, a lovely bike but just too small for highways).

Also, I thought: one less cylinder to worry about :)

#26 ·
I was loaned a 900 for the day while my 700 was in for it's first service. Had a real blast riding around Hampshire, the 900 is a really good bike with the benefit of riding modes....if that is what you want. Personally I wanted a user friendly, no nonsense, do anything bike and the 700 ticks all of my boxes. The 900 was fun for a day but ultimately I am sure the 700 is the right one for me. Ride both and decide which one you prefer. For sure you will be happy which ever you choose...Decisions Decisions. cheers eric

#27 ·
I did a trackday on my 700 at Calabogie in Canada. My friends were all on Superbike's ....I would have found it very intimidating to learn that track on 160+ hp superbike...12 blind entry corners out of 22 turns...

I like by 700--a little more versatile than my old SV650 even...

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.