2022 XSR 700, (Triumph Thunderbird 900)
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

Reactions: dan1

·
Registered
614 Posts
The headlight is what should have been there in the first place, now if they do something with the lollipop on the back fender..

The helmet lock could have been done with a bent metal tab under the seat where a helmet can quickly be locked/unlocked in place by removing and replacing the seat. In fact two could be put on, one on each side. I know it works, I did it on my bike. Made the tab and installed it on one of the bolts under the seat.

I like the wheels better than black. Black shows dirt too quickly and I'm too lazy to clean them. Kind of a shame they have to do the cat convertor, but such is life.

The speedo placement makes more sense now, but could have been better executed. All it actually needed was a bracket moving it up around four inches above and slightly forward of the handlebars. Like the aftermarket ones.

Still like the bike for sure.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
240 Posts
The headlight is still a bit odd, but I'd call it an improvement...
The gauge is one of the most disconnected-afterthought looking thing I've seen in a while.
It's almost like the design team got together and said "everyone moves the gauge, maybe we should try a different spot"
Then someone stood up and said "how about here?" and they all agreed, and cobbled up a lopsided bracket.
Some late-night drinking had to be involved.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Interesting....definitely gets the thumbs up from me. The headlamp is a vast improvement, the PR5s are a far better tyre than the old Phantoms ....both are long overdue changes. I could live with the offset speedo. The colour scheme and painted wheels work beautifully. It's almost as if someone at Yamaha has been monitoring this forum....we can only hope!

I think Kawasaki's new Z650RS has set the bar in terms of eye candy for a retro machine - good to see that the revised XSR is up there with it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Interesting....definitely gets the thumbs up from me. The headlamp is a vast improvement, the PR5s are a far better tyre than the old Phantoms ....both are long overdue changes. I could live with the offset speedo. The colour scheme and painted wheels work beautifully. It's almost as if someone at Yamaha has been monitoring this forum....we can only hope!

I think Kawasaki's new Z650RS has set the bar in terms of eye candy for a retro machine - good to see that the revised XSR is up there with it.
Why wouldn't they monitor this forum for data mining. Just makes sense. Definitely some nice improvements. Still need a tail tidy but can keep and relocate the rear indicators. The hand levers look like they could be keepers too. 2022 a big year for Yamaha's neo retro line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have also relocated the front blinkers to the radiator and mounted black fork covers.
Regarding the instrument it should have been relocated to the front centre, just my opinion.
I haven’t noticed the helmet lock.

in any case it seems Yamaha has made the changes most owners make.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The bad:
  • gold wheels are gimmick
  • speedo relocation looks out of place (but I am probably the only one that likes original speedo location, I don't watch it all the time so it is good that it stays out of way)
  • blinker location feels also out of place
  • radiator side panels look worse than before (are they just MT-07 panels, edit: no, they are not)
  • silver back wheel adjustment indicators (cannot find right word for it)

The good:
  • Historic paints are nice, but perhaps I prefer the matte more.
  • LED blinkers and LED headlight are great (though I am again probably the only one that liked the original bucket, just that the tech should have been LED)
  • Black levers look better than silver ones
  • Inverted speedo is welcomed
  • Options for remote controlling speedo

The meh:
  • Road 5 (already introduced in 2021 models in europe) -> yes much better to Phantoms, but not as nice looking
  • EU5 engine (already introduced in 2021 models in europe) -> no difference
  • Cat (already introduced in 2021 models in europe) -> just a bit more ugly
  • Bigger front break discs (already introduced in 2021 models in europe) -> a small improvement, perhaps less nice looking

Out of that for my 2021 I would welcome black levers (easy to find after market or order the OEM, like Xtribute ones), LED technology (but not the implementation) (Motodemic or Brogue options look at least as good), inverted speedo (this is probably the hardest, if you don't revert to film), remote controlling speedo could also be nice, but I can live without it.

But mostly matter of taste, the thing you own is always the best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bad:
  • gold wheels are gimmick
  • speedo relocation looks out of place (but I am probably the only one that likes original speedo location, I don't watch it all the time so it is good that it stays out of way)
  • blinker location feels also out of place
  • radiator side panels look worse than before (are they just MT-07 panels, edit: no, they are not)
  • silver back wheel adjustment indicators (cannot find right word for it)

The good:
  • Historic paints are nice, but perhaps I prefer the matte more.
  • LED blinkers and LED headlight are great (though I am again probably the only one that liked the original bucket, just that the tech should have been LED)
  • Black levers look better than silver ones
  • Inverted speedo is welcomed
  • Options for remote controlling speedo

The meh:
  • Road 5 (already introduced in 2021 models in europe) -> yes much better to Phantoms, but not as nice looking
  • EU5 engine (already introduced in 2021 models in europe) -> no difference
  • Cat (already introduced in 2021 models in europe) -> just a bit more ugly
  • Bigger front break discs (already introduced in 2021 models in europe) -> a small improvement, perhaps less nice looking

Out of that for my 2021 I would welcome black levers (easy to find after market or order the OEM, like Xtribute ones), LED technology (but not the implementation) (Motodemic or Brogue options look at least as good), inverted speedo (this is probably the hardest, if you don't revert to film), remote controlling speedo could also be nice, but I can live without it.

But mostly matter of taste, the thing you own is always the best.
I agree on several things. Most importantly I personally will have to get used to gold-wheels. It is 70´s retro, not 50´s and 60´s. Never really liked them, but as I have understood many bikers do like them.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I think the side covers look waaaay better. And yes, blacked out the fork brackets, and I like the relocation for the front indicators. I did not expect this many changes to the 700 and I think they can roll with this model for a few more years successfully. Faster and cheaper than the Kawi, and looks better than before.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was hoping for a more radical restyling, something along the lines of what Yamaha did with the XSR900. Love it or hate it, that bike is something new.
That's my next bike, either next Spring or 2023.
But I am actually surprised how much changed with the 700. I knew they weren't adding ride modes, traction control, and lean sensitive ABS. Knew they weren't adding the IMU. I thought they'd roll out the same bike a few more years and either the IMU would get added with radical changes or they'd let it die.

I mean they even changed the hand levers. This bike got all the hamidowns from the new 900 except for suspension and the IMU.

The 900 is the best deal. Can trade my 2018 700 for 5k and get the 900 for 10k from my same dealer. Leftovers probably 9k, but by 2023 only probably get 4k on my trade. Same difference. Just got to decide when I'm willing to get a 5k loan.

I would change or add nothing to it for awhile, if ever. The 700 needed a lot of help. It looks great now, but cost me $650 to make it look better, and I didn't buy an exhaust, glad I held off on that.

Tail eliminator on the new 900 would look rough imo. Hopefully someone makes a nice fender/tidy for it eventually. But I wouldn't be upset if I got the 900 sooner than later and my wife made me promise no mods. Hand levers are my most important mod, and the new 900, and 700, got nicer looking but more importantly smaller, adjustable, and though not shorties the shape of them looks setup for two finger control.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reason why I’m not in favour of the new XSR900 is it has been modernized aesthetically too much and in this way has moved away from the retro-style which is the very style and reason for the XSR to exist.

The 2022 XSR700 has been inspired by the 70’s/80’s which is OK. However, a more 60’s like look would have worked even better IMHO. Of course it all comes down to personal taste. But I find it interesting what other bikers like.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm betting the best part of the XSR700 is still there. You find it when you leave from a stop with a bit of aggression and the front tire floats about a foot off the ground. Now that is the best part... that incredibly fun engine.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The XSR700 has always been a truly great motorcycle. I guess I'd call it a perfect all-round bike. I wish I hadn't traded mine for a Z900RS. The Z900RS has a lot more power but when push comes to shove, that 700 motor will do everything the 900 will do and keep you more within the law. I've only had the 900 about 10 months and already considering trading it for something else that makes more sense. This 2022 version corrects some of the design flaws in my old bike and takes advantage of the good points at the same time. Don't let the grass look too much greener on the other side of the fence.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The XSR700 has always been a truly great motorcycle. I guess I'd call it a perfect all-round bike. I wish I hadn't traded mine for a Z900RS.
Stylewise Kawasaki is stealing this spot. Their modern classic lineup is in good shape: Z900RS, Z900RS SE, Z650RS, plus the classic W800. Yamaha's XSR-line in my opinion seems to follow MT-line too closely. While the MT wants to look futuristic, even aggressive, the XSR should go to just another direction. Still having that modern-wipe to it, but look to steal more from the past and focus on build quality.

·
Registered
614 Posts
When I got the 700 my brother said why not go to the MT-09 or XSR900. I said because I don't need that much power and I don't ride two up (wife doesn't care for riding). I figured the bigger bike would likely cost me points and money. When I had the Nighthawk S I was for ever cruising along then looking down and realizing I was doing 80-85 mph. The gearing on the XSR700 tends to keep me around 65 and sometimes that's too fast. But now if I'm running too fast I'm usually aware of it and will contain myself if needed. I just see the bigger bikes as more opportunity to get in trouble and having so much power I really can't turn it loose as easily or as often as I can with the 700. I'd almost like a 500 with the similar power delivery style, but at the 500 level. I'd get to run it out more often than the 700 without the concern.

I never saw the XSR as retro. I got the idea from the "Faster Sons" was that it was an improvement over most everything on the XSR, but with a few throw back hints like the tail light and simply that it was a naked bike with UJM ergonomics like the "old days". More like the way the automobile industry brought back some of their cars. They may have the hints of the original in the grill and such, but that's the only place - Mustangs, Camaros, Challenger/Chargers. The SR400 is a retro - in the truest sense - and the Kawasaki RS models are retro in the modern sense. They actually look darn close to the original Z1. The XSR doesn't look quite like anything from the past. I got it for the more controlable power and for the possibilities to make it how I wanted it. Plus it is the engine used in the flat trackers... love that.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
...... I'd almost like a 500 with the similar power delivery style, but at the 500 level. ......
Yep, that would be my perfect bike! I'm currently looking at a CB500F as a potential addition to my garage. In an ideal world, I'd have it in retro clothing, but not much chance of that at present.

It's likely that Yamaha will bring out an XSR version of the MT 03 at some stage - the XSR 125 is too under- powered for anyone other than learners. There is certainly a gap in the Yamaha retro line up in the 300 - 500cc range. Unlike the 300, Yamaha don't have an existing modern engine to use for an XSR 500, which is a pity.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts