XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2022 fork stanchion removal and installation is straightforward apart from these irritating monsters:
Ruler Font Tool Gas Office ruler

They fit above and below the headlamp shroud. Initially I thought they were an anti-rattle device but now I think it's to stop water ingress.
If you locate them where they should sit, the stanchion will immediately push them out of the way when inserted. This is what I did:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle

I pulled the o ring out from between the lower triple clamp and the shroud using pieces of card to slide around the circumference gently teasing the o ring out and stopping it from going back into the gap. Repeat with the upper o ring which is much easier, the stanchion can then be inserted easily. One thing I learned is that you must NOT roll the o ring otherwise when you snap it back into the gap (with the stanchion in place) this happens:

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The o ring snapped into the gap and immediately rolled up inside the shroud. It took me 90 minutes to install the stanchions, calipers, mudguard etc and a further 2 hours trying to stop the o ring from disappearing. I finally admitted defeat and took a spare o ring, cut it and worked it into the gap. It's a cosmetic thing but Sod's law says that the right side o ring would disappear and the left would not and I wanted symmetry! I have left a piece of the cut o ring exposed so, if necessary I can pull it back out after a ride.

This is why I had the stanchions out:
Audio equipment Hood Material property Automotive lighting Auto part

K-Tech cartridge inserts and new springs to try and tame our appalling UK roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
'22
16 Posts
Great how-to! It sounds like it wasn't a fun job 😄
Knowing this, I'm glad my dealer installed the fork gaiters.

If I ever plan on removing the forks to install springs or cartridges I'll know how to deal with the O-rings, thanks! (y)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have more patience than me, I would have chucked those and gone over size..
That comment made me do a comic forehead slap and utter "duh". My Dad (RIP) was a marine diesel engineer and he has left me many boxes of new "stuff" - copper washers, dowty washers, brass nuts/bolts, electrical fittings, jubilee clips and... 2 boxes of o rings. Not only that, I actually tried one of his o rings on the stanchions and it fitted in diameter but at the time I assumed it was meant to go inside the shroud and it was too large for that so I discarded the idea. Your comment made me realise I already have the parts to go oversize which would probably have been simpler. Oh well. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, one side did go together as it was supposed to...

...I am not removing calipers, mudguard and its brace, front wheel, stanchions to fit a bigger o ring, well not today at least!. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts