XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2022 XSR700 Raven
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is already at the shop and has been diagnosed. Needs a new wiring harness due to a break in one of the wires controlling the LCD (CAN Bus wiring). I had just taken it in for its 600 mile service about a week prior. It's going to be covered under warranty, but the part (wiring harness) isn't even available from Yamaha yet. It shows on their site in diagrams and has a part number, but there's no way to order it, even the dealer says they can't order it because there's no valid part number on Yamaha's ordering site.

If they can't fix it in a reasonable amount of time, how likely will I be able to fix the wiring issue myself? I've already determined that its a CAN bus wiring failure past the split point of two possible wires, (each wire goes from 1 wire to 3 because the same wiring controls the DTC port and ABS ECU, but both still function as expected as far as I can tell while it sits in the shop and asking the mechanic) CAN high or CAN low because the back light is still functional on the display, but no data displays unless you fiddle with the wiring in the right spot.

I've done killswitches in cars and 3d printer wiring, but never CAN bus wiring, so this is uncharted territory for me. some engineering friends say you can repair it as if it was a normal wire, but i also understand CAN wiring has different requirements than standard wiring.

· Super Moderator
927 Posts
From what you say, ("no data displays unless you fiddle with the wiring in the right spot"), It should be feasible to put in a temporary repair across the break until the dealer is able to order a permanent replacement part. The dealer should have the skills to do this.....but, sadly, most dealers today tend to limit their 'repairs' to removing and replacing parts. It's worth asking them - and suggest they try phoning Yamaha about the replacement loom availability. Let us know how you get on.

· Registered
2022 XSR700 Raven
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what you say, ("no data displays unless you fiddle with the wiring in the right spot"), It should be feasible to put in a temporary repair across the break until the dealer is able to order a permanent replacement part. The dealer should have the skills to do this.....but, sadly, most dealers today tend to limit their 'repairs' to removing and replacing parts. It's worth asking them - and suggest they try phoning Yamaha about the replacement loom availability. Let us know how you get on.
Unfortunately this would void the same warranty that covers replacing the wiring harness.

· Registered
327 Posts
Unfortunately this would void the same warranty that covers replacing the wiring harness.
Unless Yamaha authorizes the dealer to do it. Might be worth asking the dealer to ask Yamaha about it due to the projected long delay in getting a replacement harness.

Where are you located and how many miles on your '22. I only have about 400 on mine. Hopefully it's an aberration and not a failure that becomes common to the bikes.

FWIW, adding your location to your profile gives more context to your posts, beyond just being in the US.

· Registered
2022 XSR700 Raven
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless Yamaha authorizes the dealer to do it. Might be worth asking the dealer to ask Yamaha about it due to the projected long delay in getting a replacement harness.

Where are you located and how many miles on your '22. I only have about 400 on mine. Hopefully it's an aberration and not a failure that becomes common to the bikes.

FWIW, adding your location to your profile gives more context to your posts, beyond just being in the US.
around 750 miles on mine before the display went. Asked about a temporary repair and the dealer wont do it unless Yamaha tells them to. I am trying my best to go through Yamaha, but its a slow process

· Registered
327 Posts
Thanks. BTDT on warranty claims with Yamaha. 4 months on a CCT failure on my '12 Super Ten. A lot of that was the guy in Michigan wasting time with parts sitting on his office floor. The people in CA are faster and if you can get your regional rep involved, it's hugely faster. The regional rep can make decisions themself.

I've got a trip coming up and will be over that mileage by the time I get back. I hope I don't suffer the same failure.

· Registered
327 Posts
That sucks. I suffered through a 4 month warranty claim with Yamaha and it's no fun to have to keep bugging the warranty rep and dealer about whey your bike will be ready. My dealer had recently moved as well, so dumped all their loaner bikes before they moved, so zero chance of getting a loaner. I ended up buying a cheap second bike so I wasn't missing out the summer riding.

I'm over 2k miles w/o any symptoms, so it may just be your bike with the flaw. Regardless, it's always harder for the first bike to have an issue. They haven't seen the specific problem before and drag their feet during the warranty process, especially when it's expensive or requires a part not already known to fail.

· Registered
781 Posts
See if your state has a Lemon Law. If so, see what you need to file a claim against Yamaha and the dealer.

Here is a summary of the Ohio law:

The Lemon Law in Ohio applies to new cars, non-commercial motor vehicles, motor homes, and recreational vehicles that suffer a nonconformity – a defect or condition, which substantially impairs the use, value or safety – that cannot be repaired after three attempts by an authorized manufacturer's dealership.​
For a claim to qualify under the OH Lemon Law, the first repair must occur in the first 12 months or 18,000 miles – whichever comes first.​
The OH Lemon Law also covers you if you have been in the shop for eight (8) total repair attempts, regardless if they are for the same or different problems, or one attempt to repair a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury.​
In addition, The Lemon Law in Ohio also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair thirty (30) or more calendar days during the first year.​

That might light the fires under the dealer and, through them, Yamaha. Either fix it or get a new one.

· Registered
2022 XSR700 Raven
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
See if your state has a Lemon Law. If so, see what you need to file a claim against Yamaha and the dealer.

Here is a summary of the Ohio law:

The Lemon Law in Ohio applies to new cars, non-commercial motor vehicles, motor homes, and recreational vehicles that suffer a nonconformity – a defect or condition, which substantially impairs the use, value or safety – that cannot be repaired after three attempts by an authorized manufacturer's dealership.​
For a claim to qualify under the OH Lemon Law, the first repair must occur in the first 12 months or 18,000 miles – whichever comes first.​
The OH Lemon Law also covers you if you have been in the shop for eight (8) total repair attempts, regardless if they are for the same or different problems, or one attempt to repair a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury.​
In addition, The Lemon Law in Ohio also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair thirty (30) or more calendar days during the first year.​

That might light the fires under the dealer and, through them, Yamaha. Either fix it or get a new one.
Thanks for the heads up on Lemon
In all seriousness though I have all the documentation needed to go through lemon, but at this point 2 months may be faster than a lemon law claim

· Registered
2022 XSR700 Raven
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
--------------------------UPDATE--------------------------

The bike is repaired and finally home as of Dec 2022

Dealer replaced the wiring harness in (after its arrival in late July) in Aug 2022 with success that lasted maybe 15mins, before the display failed completely, supposedly due to damage from the previous harness.
Now they had to order a new display...
That display arrived this DEC 2022, and in the meantime had an emissions recall repaired.

Finally got notified it was ready

Only took 8 months (since it first failed in April), but we got there.
Speaking to a Yamaha rep told me they would extend the factory warranty out to 5 years for the trouble, but I have yet to get it in writing. Fingers crossed.

Just happy to be riding it again.

· Registered
'22
79 Posts
Thanks for the update (y)
Sorry to hear about that. You just missed a complete riding season thanks to Yamaha :(
Let's hope it keeps working now. I wish you a lot of time and good weather so you can catch up on your missed rides!

On a side note; Do you know where the US XSR's are built?
I have a 2022 EU model and they're built in the French "MBK" factory. I'd figure the US gets their bikes either straight from Japan or builds them locally. There's no sense in shipping bikes from France to the US, right?

To be honest I feel the fit and finish on my EU bike is so-so on a lot of places. One of those places is the wiring on the left side of the headtube. It was rubbing on a bracket when I turned the bars. Not something you'd expect on a new bike and IMO it was just a matter of time before it would turn into an electrical problem.
White Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood

On the top right of the picture you can also see I added some protection to keep the wiring from rubbing against the sharp edge of the tank

Reading about your problem makes me wonder if there's any specific part from the wiring harness that riders can check as a preventive measure?

· Registered
2022 XSR700 Raven
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the update (y)
Sorry to hear about that. You just missed a complete riding season thanks to Yamaha :(
Let's hope it keeps working now. I wish you a lot of time and good weather so you can catch up on your missed rides!

On a side note; Do you know where the US XSR's are built?
I have a 2022 EU model and they're built in the French "MBK" factory. I'd figure the US gets their bikes either straight from Japan or builds them locally. There's no sense in shipping bikes from France to the US, right?

To be honest I feel the fit and finish on my EU bike is so-so on a lot of places. One of those places is the wiring on the left side of the headtube. It was rubbing on a bracket when I turned the bars. Not something you'd expect on a new bike and IMO it was just a matter of time before it would turn into an electrical problem.
View attachment 28011

On the top right of the picture you can also see I added some protection to keep the wiring from rubbing against the sharp edge of the tank

Reading about your problem makes me wonder if there's any specific part from the wiring harness that riders can check as a preventive measure?
My bike and the replacement parts were all from Japan. I wouldnt know if that was the exact cause unless it was repeatable, as no other riders have reported issues like this with so few miles. Might be worth using some automotive hoses to protect the wires from chaffing, but idk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts