XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is already at the shop and has been diagnosed. Needs a new wiring harness due to a break in one of the wires controlling the LCD (CAN Bus wiring). I had just taken it in for its 600 mile service about a week prior. It's going to be covered under warranty, but the part (wiring harness) isn't even available from Yamaha yet. It shows on their site in diagrams and has a part number, but there's no way to order it, even the dealer says they can't order it because there's no valid part number on Yamaha's ordering site.

If they can't fix it in a reasonable amount of time, how likely will I be able to fix the wiring issue myself? I've already determined that its a CAN bus wiring failure past the split point of two possible wires, (each wire goes from 1 wire to 3 because the same wiring controls the DTC port and ABS ECU, but both still function as expected as far as I can tell while it sits in the shop and asking the mechanic) CAN high or CAN low because the back light is still functional on the display, but no data displays unless you fiddle with the wiring in the right spot.

I've done killswitches in cars and 3d printer wiring, but never CAN bus wiring, so this is uncharted territory for me. some engineering friends say you can repair it as if it was a normal wire, but i also understand CAN wiring has different requirements than standard wiring.

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts
From what you say, ("no data displays unless you fiddle with the wiring in the right spot"), It should be feasible to put in a temporary repair across the break until the dealer is able to order a permanent replacement part. The dealer should have the skills to do this.....but, sadly, most dealers today tend to limit their 'repairs' to removing and replacing parts. It's worth asking them - and suggest they try phoning Yamaha about the replacement loom availability. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what you say, ("no data displays unless you fiddle with the wiring in the right spot"), It should be feasible to put in a temporary repair across the break until the dealer is able to order a permanent replacement part. The dealer should have the skills to do this.....but, sadly, most dealers today tend to limit their 'repairs' to removing and replacing parts. It's worth asking them - and suggest they try phoning Yamaha about the replacement loom availability. Let us know how you get on.
Unfortunately this would void the same warranty that covers replacing the wiring harness.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Unfortunately this would void the same warranty that covers replacing the wiring harness.
Unless Yamaha authorizes the dealer to do it. Might be worth asking the dealer to ask Yamaha about it due to the projected long delay in getting a replacement harness.

Where are you located and how many miles on your '22. I only have about 400 on mine. Hopefully it's an aberration and not a failure that becomes common to the bikes.

FWIW, adding your location to your profile gives more context to your posts, beyond just being in the US.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless Yamaha authorizes the dealer to do it. Might be worth asking the dealer to ask Yamaha about it due to the projected long delay in getting a replacement harness.

Where are you located and how many miles on your '22. I only have about 400 on mine. Hopefully it's an aberration and not a failure that becomes common to the bikes.

FWIW, adding your location to your profile gives more context to your posts, beyond just being in the US.
around 750 miles on mine before the display went. Asked about a temporary repair and the dealer wont do it unless Yamaha tells them to. I am trying my best to go through Yamaha, but its a slow process

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks. BTDT on warranty claims with Yamaha. 4 months on a CCT failure on my '12 Super Ten. A lot of that was the guy in Michigan wasting time with parts sitting on his office floor. The people in CA are faster and if you can get your regional rep involved, it's hugely faster. The regional rep can make decisions themself.

I've got a trip coming up and will be over that mileage by the time I get back. I hope I don't suffer the same failure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts