XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I saw the new 2020 just last week, they are beautiful! I like the painted front fender and gold wheels.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I remember doing that... fun, even if it wasn't my bike. I started in a Honda dealership back in '82 building new bikes, then in '83 got into sales of them. Did that for another 7 years full time and another 15 part time. It had a lot of ups and some downs, but learned a lot. We were a good shop with knowledgeable people who wanted people to ride, not just to make a buck off of them.

You're gonna love that bike. I certainly have no regrets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Love the colours and surprisingly really like the gold wheels, not something that normally appeals but they go well. I also love the fact that they painted the rear fender. Really nice!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Getting the stickers all taken off... I decided to do the radiator cap and used a cut-down Corvette Museum sticker to cover up the steel center...
Very pleased how this came out.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
You just have to know Yamaha got the XSR700 right when about all they've done the last couple years was to change the color scheme.
I've kept mine basically stock except for a new slightly smaller front fender and a Yosh rear fender eliminator. The more I ride it and push the envelope wit it, the more I enjoy the bike. Once you get a feel for it's capabilities it's an amazing little motorcycle that will surprise a lot of larger bikes out there. I ride mainly with a guy who rides a Honda 1100 sport tourer and I don't have any problem staying with him. He's got more power but on tight roads I definitely have the advantage. This bike is one that most people who can actually ride it the way it was made to be ridden will keep it for several years. I really do thinks it's the riders who can't take it to it's limits that may trade it for something else that they will also not be able to ride to it's limit. When the FZ07 first came out CW said it was a bike that only comes out once a decade and I think they were right, the platform is right on the mark, at least for a rider my size and weight (5'6" and 145 lbs) Even at 70, I can give a lot of riders a good run for their money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flyerdon… I know exactly what this bike will do and how much fun it's going to be. I'm a very experienced rider and ex-racer (roadracing, flat track, supermoto, trials, ice) that simlpy wanted a comfy middleweight fun bike. I love surprising the "kids" with my R1200GS in the twistys <grin> I've got a friend that is roadracing "gently tweaked" MT7 and having a blast.

Indeed this is a GREAT motor that can really scoot with the right rider! I was pretty close to getting a KTM790 but just couldn't warm up to the insect styling. Ducati's are great bikes but I'm kind of over them... I used to race a 1979 bevel drive 900ss back in the day and still own a very well sorted '87 Paso I bough new. This XSR700 is about the 40th bike I've owned...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well - got the bike "cleaned-up" - this is all I plan to do for now, as soon as the world settles down I plan to touch base with a local guy and see what we can come up with for a tracker tail - he builds some very nice, authentic tracker stuff.

I have the Giles Speedo relocator and the Puig Aluminum fly screen on it - came out nice - the screen does not touch the instrument as the first touch is the steel Giles bracket. I'll fashion a rubber protection attachment - I have used marine anti-slip "tape" with success in the past. The screen has some flex with only two-point mounting but nothing that should be a big deal.
IMG_2904.jpg
Cheers!
Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts