XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here. I've just acquired a 2019 XSR 700 Tribute as a companion to my Africa Twin, took it out for it's first serious thrash at the weekend, generally liked it a lot, but was seriously underwhelmed with the suspension. My AT has a 21" front wheel and fairly serious 50/50 off road tyres and yet it feels much more composed above 80mph than the XSR. So, having spent all my money, the Ohlins upgrade isn't an option, but progressive fork springs seem worth a try as a first step, however before I get too oily, I read somewhere that Yamaha might have started putting progressive springs in the forks a couple of years ago, does anyone know if that is true?
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
373 Posts
They stiffened the front end from what the MT07 had in 2018 I believe but as far as what brand of spring they used, who knows? You are comparing apples and oranges aren't you? And how much do you weigh? I'm at 145-150 and the front end seems fine to me, maybe even a bit harsh in the really rough pavement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm about 190 lb, the suspension was ok on dead smooth curves but any uneven road surface unsettled it, not expecting miracles from conventional forks, but the shock also felt underdamped.
Just looking for reasonable improvements to inspire a bit more confidence when pushing on.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You might try some spacers in the tubes to pre-tension the spring rate a bit but you might need to also alter the damping by trying a kit that would require revamping the valving, along with some new springs. I'm sure someone out there has worked on situatuions much like yours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts