Votes: 1 11.1%
  • YAMAHA XSR700

Votes: 8 88.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a soon to be new owner of a 2018 XSR. I've been wanting this bike for a year now when I purchased my R3. I was feeling the MT07 performance platform with the retro aesthetics and even though the seat height always felt a tad bit too high, all the reviews that I would watch and read kept reenforcing what a great value this bike was when compared to the competitors. Wether it was the Ducati or Triumph Scramblers, it always seemed to come out on top in terms of performance and affordability. I'd been researching & dreaming about this bike for a whole year and the only this left was for me to ride it.

Fast forward and I have a buyer for my R3 and I'm now ready to upgrade. I found the only used ONE in a 250 mile radius from me & finally test rode it yesterday for the 1st time. I must say that I wasn't completely sold and quite honestly a bit disappointed and it had a lot to do with the height & softness of the suspension and ergonomics and positioning of the handlebars. I didn't leave me with the permagrin that I expected to have. Here I was ready to make this big commitment only to realize that it wasn't perfect. Needless to say my mind was in turmoil... I spent the better half of the day walking around sitting on every bike that interested me at the dealer while talking to some of my friends over the phone to get their opinions to help me make sense of it all.

Long story short I asked to ride a Triumph Street Twin which did feel great every time I threw my leg over. It turned out to be a great ride and the feeling I was looking for. There I was with the permagrin I'd been searching for. That put me at a crossroad; The Triumph has it going on but the XSR is more reliable, less costly and with some mods has more potential in my eyes. I put a deposit on it with the intention of sleeping on it tonight and potentially picking it up tomorrow.

What do you guys think? Id appreciate any opinions on this matter especially from this community of XSR owners to help me from potentially making a regretable or the best choice ever. Please and thanks if you read all that.

ps. some financing details
2016 Triumph Street Twin $6,999 OTD
2018 Yamaha XSR700 $6,599 OTD

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you are not comfortable you will not enjoy the XSR700 or any other bike, they are a fairly easy bike to get comfortable on compared to a sports bike so do you have any specific issues ? Are you very tall, short, heavy etc ? One thing I can say is that the XSR700 will outperform the Triumph on speed, braking and handling by quite a considerable margin and is a lot lighter but the Triumph does look better in some peoples eyes (not mine though as I have an anniversary Black / Yellow XSR which is fantastic). Good luck whichever you choose !

·
Registered
82 Posts
Get what makes you grin...

The XSR does it for me, but it might not do it for you. Onslowe is dead on with his comments, but we all know it's that "je ne sais pas" that makes that one bike perfect.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Both great bikes, take under consideration location of servicing dealers, and cost of maintenance. Triumph needs more valve adjustments.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Hurricane clubman bars will drastically improve the feel of the XSR, get you back down into a tucked position, and they look great as well. The Triumph is a good bike but Yamaha is top tier for reliability, cost and accessories. You'll be able to make the bike your own if you stick with the XSR. But buy what you want to buy. At the end of the day its your butt in the saddle, not ours!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Funny i was wery interested in the Street twin loved the look.
Visited my dealer a few time and loved the low riding position when the spring came and i got to test ride it.
And it all fell in place the wrong place to be honest.
The engine was the biggest dissipointment to be honest.
great bottom but that was it really it nothing happend when you go full throttle.
And 170km to the shop every service and for all the waranty wisit it will be.

So i drove my XJR1300 one more year then i traded it in for the xsr700 without testing it at all.
Im am 176cm with short legs 36/30 in Jeans and so the height was a thing.
But when i picked it up and drove it home with the Akrapovic on from start it was all fun and no worries.
At the begining i wanted to swap my bars for an more sporty ride position but not any longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny i was wery interested in the Street twin loved the look.
Visited my dealer a few time and loved the low riding position when the spring came and i got to test ride it.
And it all fell in place the wrong place to be honest.
The engine was the biggest dissipointment to be honest.
great bottom but that was it really it nothing happend when you go full throttle.
And 170km to the shop every service and for all the waranty wisit it will be.

So i drove my XJR1300 one more year then i traded it in for the xsr700 without testing it at all.
Im am 176cm with short legs 36/30 in Jeans and so the height was a thing.
But when i picked it up and drove it home with the Akrapovic on from start it was all fun and no worries.
At the begining i wanted to swap my bars for an more sporty ride position but not any longer.
First of all thank you to everyone that replied. The update is that I’m the proud new owner of bitching XSR700. Mine also has the Akrapovic and the ride home from the dealer was a totally different experience. The bike and I started over, got reacquainted and decided we’re going to work things out. The ride height is still a little bit of an issue cause I hate it when I’m trying to back it up and can’t get enough foot traction cause I’m on up on my toes. Not sexy at all.
But I’m excited to be a part of this community. I’m in LA, CA. Let’s ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
First of all thank you to everyone that replied. The update is that I’m the proud new owner of bitching XSR700. Mine also has the Akrapovic and the ride home from the dealer was a totally different experience. The bike and I started over, got reacquainted and decided we’re going to work things out. The ride height is still a little bit of an issue cause I hate it when I’m trying to back it up and can’t get enough foot traction cause I’m on up on my toes. Not sexy at all.
But I’m excited to be a part of this community. I’m in LA, CA. Let’s ride!

Congratulations! I definitely bought my XSR with the intent of changing a few things. That's one of my favorite things about this bike, how easy it is to make your own. Look forward to seeing what you come up with and welcome to the community!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great choise!
Make an lower seat?
Or lower the bike?

Must confess a secret!
Im a real Triumph fan and have wanted one for many years.
And now when the 1200 is on the market it has been hard to resist.
But i think they are a bit pricey and not worth the extra cash.

The ones i have tested so far is the.
Thruxton 900 (the wrong sound)
Scrambler 900 (Loved that one but not enough power)
Street twin (the same as the scrambler low grunt but nothing more)
Thruxton 1200R (What a beast but not a fan of the riding position)
And an short parkinglot trip on the new Speed Twin and that one was promising.

But not when i heard what i had to cash up when i wanted to trade in my xsr700.
They wanted 7500euro in cash and my bike. :(
Never gonna happend.

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
I've been tempted by the new Speed Twin as well but I think I'd miss the lightness of the XSR and, as Callahan says, the Triumph is not cheap. I test rode a Street Twin a few years ago but I didn't rate its handing or performance compared to the XSR.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You probably made the right choice but when you ask members of a particular bike forum which bike to choose, your are asking an already biased group. I've owned one of the newer Triumph models, a 2010 Triumph Speedmaster (name somewhat misleading because it's a cruiser) and I only owned it about 4 months and traded it for the same bike I traded when I bought it ( a 2008 FZ1) because the lack of upper end power just didn't make it for me. It wasn't a bad bike, just not what I thought it would be. Any bike has more than one personality and one of those may be right and one wrong. It depends on the dominant one and if that one is right for the owner or not. I change bikes often because as I've aged, my likes and dislikes have changed. Right now I have an XSR700, next year? I've always wanted a Guzzi so who knows?

·
Registered
312 Posts
So Flyerdon, speaking of the Guzzi, I just traded my 2017 V7 III Special in on my new XSR700. The Guzzi was probably one the most satisfying bikes of the 39 that I have owned. It served me well in 16,000 miles since July 2017. Not one problem, all maintenance performed by me (even the valves can be adjusted in 30 minutes.) I loved it, but it was getting too heavy in my weakening old age. The XSR is 50 lbs lighter, and 25 more horsepower!

·
Registered
320 Posts
If i only had this one hobby then i would allready bought an Triumph.
And i have to say that after i rode the MT07 the first time the triumph craving has not been that big.
So when going back to 2wheels from my ATV the MT07 was the goal.
But when the time came, they were sold out.
So I was persuaded to buy an XJR1300 racer from the dealer.
However, got a really good price so couldn't let it go.
But two seasons i rode it and all the time i was looking at my friends MT07.
The sound was absolutly amazing.

So last spring i was at the same dealership and ask for an god deal on the XSR700 or an MT07.
But i was drawn to the red xsr and im glad i did.
This is the most fun bike i have had so far.
Great looks
Good mpg
Very low insurance cost
Lots of accessories to this bike
Amazing sound
komfortable riding position

1 - 14 of 14 Posts