XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’m about to buy my first bike after passing my test 2 years ago. I opted for the new black XSR700. Any hints or tips on what to ask for to sweeten the deal or how to approach the sale?

Also any tips on what to change on the bike?

thanks,

Gav

·
Registered
315 Posts
Before I give you answers, I have some questions. Why did you wait this long to decide to buy a bike? What exactly have you spent any time on since you passed your test? Are you confident you're ready for a 700cc bike with about 70 h.p.? And finally, why do you want a bike to begin with, i.e. what will you be using it for? Like most any expensive purchase, shop, shop, shop to make sure your are getting a good deal and don't forget to factor in maintenance and insurance. You'll pay those as long as you use the bike, maintenance unless you are a do-it-yourselfer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I passed my test we just had a baby. He’s nearly 2. My wife has just come round to the idea. I learned on a Kawasaki er6.

I researched (as best I could) the best first time bike and the MT-07 seemed to be the consensus and after 2 years of coveting that I saw the XSR700 and the rest is history.

I bought the bike today with a £700 discount. I def got a good deal. Also got £50 off first service and guaranteed discount of extras.

many other advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats buddy. Welcome to a fantastic world. The bike is torquey so careful of slamming the throttle. It’ll power wheelie eaaaasy. The bike is designed to be customised. So many options. Just have to figure out what you like. Is the exhaust enough for you? Or prefer it loud?Have you an aesthetic In mind? You made a great choice. I’ll add a picture of mine I’ve made tons of changes and it started life as the black version.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah mine is the exact same bike. That is beautiful. The seat is a real nice touch. I’m def going to change the exhaust and maybe switch out the headlight and indicators. Not sure yet. A bit like a kid in a candy shop. 😂

I have biking family and friends so I’m sure they’ll let me know of any glaring exclusions. Cheers for the reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
second that. Congrats and welcome. As Ashley said, it's very easily customisable so enjoy the process. This place is a great source of information too!

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey mate, my xsr700 is my first bike too, though it's the australian restricted one
be careful with the throttle to begin with and don't worry if you drop it, and you'll be good! it's a fantastic bike, just requires a little bit of maturity to operate as a beginner, lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great bike! As you have most likely done, check out the Pictures and Accessories sections of this forum to see what we have all done to our bikes for ideas. I've only done seat, exhaust, levers, headlight, rear shock, fork springs, fork boots, side covers, grips, rim tape, Dart shield, underbelly, MT front fender, and speedo relocating, so far, in 11,000 miles and 13 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses guys. Bought the bike on Sat and picking up tomorrow. Can.. not.. wait, but I’ll be taking it easy for the first wee while to get used to the bike. Thankfully I live in an area with lots of coast and scenic routes so plenty of places to go.

mill post some pictures along the way and when I mod the bike. Plenty of ideas already so I’ll keep you all up to date.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Whereabouts are you Gav? Thinking Scotland....... I've had mine a couple of months and use it for commuting and general blasting. Black, second hand 2018 with only 766 miles on it when I got it (2360 now) Mine has a Black Widow exhaust, Barracuda vanity panels where the rear brake M/C is, R&G crash protection on rear spindle and frame sliders, Gilles levers and speedo relocation mount, Yamaha fly screen (useless but looks pretty), SW-Motech bar risers, fork gaiters and stanchion shrouds (made from poly pipe, about a fiver!), Pyramid rear hugger/chain guard, Quad Lock phone mount and this weekend am adding a Vintech rear light and an Evotech Tail Tidy and think I'll be done there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts