XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Placed using the passenger footrest holder , a hand made piece a the parts included in the 12v DC Kit. I hope that I´ll find the aux connector just below the left fueltank cover ( like in the MT07)
Does anyone know it for certain? It´ll be great to know before dismounting

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Auxiliary DC Connector

The manual refers to this connector without providing any detail (other that to say that it's there and that a dealer should be consulted).

After this afternoon's fiddling about I can confirm that my early 2016 XSR does indeed have a little connector taped to the wiring loom. I have confirmed that it provides 12v when the key is in the "ON" position (and 0v when it is not).

YouTube shows how to find the connector on an MT-07 and a procedure for disconnecting it from the loom. Even with the rectifier and tank covers removed I could not really see the connector, so to be sure that I was in the right place I unbolted the rear tank attachement (2 silver allen bolts on each side can be accessed when the tank covers are removed) and pivoted the tank about 10cm upwards on the forward attachment point (as far it would go without putting any strain on the pipes and cables connected to the tank). This was enough to give the view in the attached photo. What the photo or YouTube does not let you see is that the 12V connector is quite a few cm deeper behind the rectifier that the other connectors that you see on the upper left of the shot. The red line on the shot shows the extent of both halves of the connector (the "upper" half is the part taped to the loom and is just a plastic shell to hold and protect the wired half). The green line shows where to (carefully) cut the loom tape and free the connector (before risking any damage to the loom when cutting the tape it's probably worth first trying to gently pull the connector from the shell).

My plan now is to use the connector to energise a relay for the heated grips I have installed - more on that another time perhaps...

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Owner's Manual refers to a mysterious "Auxiliary DC Connector" but provides no helpful details.

There are some YouTube videos showing how MT-07 owners accessed a connector under the fuel tank behind the rectifier.

I can confirm that my early 2016 XSR is fitted with a similar connector. It was taped to the wiring loom by a connector half that has no wires attached to it. The connector provides 12 volts when the key is in the "On" position and zero volts when it's not (my plan is to use it to energise a relay for heated grips).

In order to be confident that I had found the right connector I removed the tank covers and pivoted the rear of the tank up a few centimetres (rear of the tank was attached to the frame by a couple of silver coloured screws on each side and it was then pivoted around the front attachment point) - my Fuel Tank Cover Removal tread might help here.

The picture shows the location of the 12v connector (rectifier is at the bottom of the frame). What is not clear in the picture or any of the videos I've seen is how much lower this connector is compared to those that can be seen in the upper left of my picture (the little 12v connector is maybe another 5 cm lower and well behind the rectifier). The red line is supposed to show the extent of both halves of the 12v connector and the green line is where the tape can be cut to free it from the loom... but it might be wise to try gently pulling the connector free before risking loom damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi, can you post more photo??thank
Sorry, I don't have any more photos at the moment. I will take some more if I have to open that area up again but it's not planned at the moment.

I found the YouTube vid quite helpful : "FZ 07:Where's That **** 12v Aux Plug".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts